PDA

View Full Version : Which of Your Images Do You Choose to Post and Why

Mike Tracy
09-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I have often wondered whats the mindset of most of the folks who post here. Are the members posting only what they think are their best images ? If thats the case it might explain the sometimes sensitive nature when they receive a less than glowing critique. Or does the general membership just post a image from their files which they want to share ?

I pretty much usually only post those I am on the fence with and am open to the general consensus whether it's a keeper worth working on further or a file not worthy of spending any more time on. Maybe since for the most part I am completely open mined with my BPN started threads I don't take it personally if they are ripped to shreds.

Ken Watkins
09-27-2010, 09:45 AM
For my part I post either images that I think are pretty good or those that are either interesting or unusual and I feel are worthy of sharing.

I take all advice to heart most of the time it is very useful.

James Shadle
09-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Mike,
I post images I like.
Images I like hold my interest, are artistically and technically pleasing. Of course that is all subjective and a matter of opinion.

I will also post images that I think may inspire other photographers, images that I can use to make an educational point. And of course I post images like you said "I'm on the fence" about, usually from a creative perspective.

Now if I can just get the time to post those images!!!!:)

David Gancarz
09-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I've posted 18 images since Feb '09. One clearly had technical problems but was otherwise interesting to me. Another, with the title Pathological Photo, was strictly for some PP advice (and was so received). The others were images I thought were good. I've generally been very pleased with the critiques and have become a better photographer as a result. I see myself having more thoughtful composition, improved technicals, and a desire to reach a bar set very high by some of the folks on this site. I do see a strong bias favoring bird portraiture -- minimalist compositions with clean backgrounds. I don't have a problem with that; these are, after all, beautiful images. But I also like to see the bird placed in its habitat. It is nice to see that as this September's project.

Norm Dulak
09-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Mike:

I sometimes post images that I believe are excellent. If there are critical comments concerning these images, I am sometimes surprised but not resentful. Those comments make me know that I can do better, and that is good. My hibiscus image posted not long ago in the macro/floral forum is an example. :)

At other times I may post an image where I think the subject is especially interesting, although I know before posting that the image lacks technical excellence. My Galapagos land iguana is an example of this. :)

Norm

James Shadle
09-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Norm,
Ever beat a dead horse?
The points you mentioned have been well covered over the last few days. I know that the BPN staff has got your point.

If you post an image that is especially interesting while not being the best technically, state that when you post the image.
By doing so you help those who are trying to offer honest critiques and avoid misunderstandings.

But what I do not appreciate under any circumstances are comments from moderators that present bald criticisms devoid of any suggestions for improvement! I consider such criticisms to be essentially useless. :(
Norm, I would consider "bald criticisms devoid of any suggestions for improvement!" to be useless coming from anyone.
Fortunately that does not happen very often, if it does happen it is usually a miss-communication. Most miss-communications and misunderstandings begin with a preconception.
I think there is room for improvement in the way image creators and those who critique them communicate.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I would post images I like myself. At the end of the day it is good to know how other photographers see it too and can certainly offer comments on it from a different perspective, but to me (and to anyone) what should matter most is that the image appeals to me (them). Of course the more one takes photos of their beloved subjects, the more refined their skills become (or should) and their rate of appealing images to themselves and others ought to increase. :)

Marina Scarr
09-27-2010, 08:29 PM
In the past I have normally posted what I would consider my best photos in the avian forum...pictures which I find pleasing or interesting. Sometimes I like the light and/or environment...sometimes it's the behavior and action. I don't normally post pictures on which I find myself on the fence. I would rather ask a fellow photographer(s) privately first. I recently heard a seasoned professional photographer make the statement that photographers are generally judged not by the best work they show, but by their worst. Sad but probably true.

Desmond Chan
09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I post in order to find out the quality - or the lack of it - of my posted images :)

Roger Clark
09-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I post images that have some uncertainty just to see what the comments are. Sometimes people pick on things I hadn't considered and ignore things that annoy me. Sometimes I post an image that breaks all the rules, and people generally do not like it. For example:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?29807-Eye-of-the-Leopard&highlight=eye+of+the+leopard
This is a very cluttered foreground and background, but to me that gives the image strength, and the focus on the eye moves it over the top for me. I also find it interesting that non-photographers and very amateur photographers love the image, but photographer critics do not. It will probably never win in a contest, but will sell well.

Roger

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-28-2010, 01:49 AM
I am not "Yet" an avid poster and like James I too am about 6000 images behind and recently lost about 2000 RAW files when my Raid system crashed after an electric storm hit our TV aerial and my biggest problem is I get so much enjoyment chasing subjects I tend to let the converting, PP and ORGANIZING fall behind.

I have promised myself to post more this next season when the sun returns to ONCE sunny Australia and with a new German BPN friend who is here with us for a year, try to get my backup system organized and some serious time chasing Raptors with him at the Western Treatment Plant.

I do not consider myself a great producer of fine images though I have a huge inventory of interesting images depicting behavioral patterns of our native and migratory birds and other Australian wildlife.

Every time I do post I have have always got great advice from some of the best in the business and I just wish that my brain was as active as my mind but with the encouragement and guiding I have received here, I hope to post a winner some time prior to my demise.:)

Or at least shortly after if I am wrong about an afterlife.:)

Harshad Barve
09-28-2010, 03:18 AM
I liked the way I have posted images on BPN which gives fare idea about the places I have visited. Picture quality is an individual perspective and can differ from person to person. for me if picture speaks , It is a good picture

Just my 2 cents

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Well said Harshad and like you I take images for my pleasure, if others also enjoy them it is a bonus. :)

Arthur Morris
09-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Ah, I completely did not get your point when I read the title. Perhaps "Which of Your Images Do You Choose to Post and Why" would have been better (even if a bit awkward.....)

IAC, to answer the actual question, aside from a few "Which do you prefer and why?," Head Angle Fine Points, and other educational postings I post images that I think are of high quality and high interest, images with impact. I love that folks often point out stuff that I have missed or otherwise help me to improve my images.

Mike Tracy
09-28-2010, 06:40 AM
Ah, I completely did not get your point when I read the title. Perhaps "Which of Your Images Do You Choose to Post and Why" would have been better (even if a bit awkward.....)

As soon as I posted it I wished I had phrased the title differently. Feel free to edit it if you are able to whatever you think sounds better.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
09-28-2010, 06:58 AM
As soon as I posted it I wished I had phrased the title differently. Feel free to edit it if you are able to whatever you think sounds better.

Your post, your words, good enough for me.

Arthur Morris
09-28-2010, 07:01 AM

Let me know what you would be happy with and I would be glad to try to change it.

Doug Brown
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I generally post the good stuff, with the occasional educational image post. Sometimes I'll post an image that I'm sitting on the fence over. You'll get no shortage of good opinions here on BPN! On a site like this you've got to be able to accept and learn from constructive criticism, even on the images that you think are perfect.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I like this thread.

Always, when I upload an image I have several things in mind, one is that I want to share the image, two: I want to get feedback in order to improve, three: If I feel the image is not good then I don't bother to upload, but again, quality is subjective, what can be good for me could not be good for you.

Stu Bowie
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I post what I feel are my better images - images that hopefully have impact, and will draw attention. I accept all crits on my images, and have learnt from all the feedback I receive on my images.

Jim Fenton
10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
I would agree with exactly what Stuart says..I post images that I feel are good and that have impact, even if they aren't always 100% technically or artistically perfect.

I know darn well that not everyone sees my images as I do and I love it when they point out things I might have done differently. I know that when I look at others images, no matter who created them, I almost always find something I might have tried differently. Doesn't mean I'm right but another set of eyes is always a good thing and makes one think.

Plus...we all overlook seemingly obvious things at times that others can point out to us...and it makes us look more thoroughly next time :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I always post what I consider my best images although I know a lot of them are not up to the high standards of BPN. But I am here to learn from the best.....so getting to know how to improve what I think my best images are....is immensely helpful. There are many times when a comment points out to a good thing I myself had not appreciated....so that helps a lot too. In my comments, I try to do that too...point out both pros and cons( if applicable) of an image. I consider myself fortunate to have a place like BPN to go to for help.

Sachin Saraf
07-23-2011, 11:19 PM
I completely agree with what Kd has said above.