PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at South Haven Michigan Lighthouse

Gary Esman
09-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Hello, this is my first post under Landscapes:D 50D, 100mm on a 100 - 400mm, f/5.6, iso 400, 1/4000. Ran NR on the background, thanks for looking and all comments appreciated.

Dave Mills
09-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi Gary, welcome to the forum! Very nice silhouette and a beautiful sunset. I feel the exposure was well handled with the extreme lighting. I like the rays coming off the clouds very much.
Presently the lighthouse is placed almost in the middle of the frame with the left side not adding a whole lot to the image. I would crop the image from the left to a little before the dark area of the bush.
To my eye the bush isn't that appealing due to it's softness when the other silhouettes are hard edged.
I was wondering about the people being included and feel I could take or leave them. On a positive note they do show scale......

Jeffrey Sipress
09-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Nice image, Gary. Sure defines Lighthouse! I agree with Dave, but not sure about the bush. Isn't that breaking surf?

Gary Esman
09-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I originally played around with it and normally would not center the object, but the main purpose of the image was the rays. A silhouette on a pier is nothing special. Here is the cropped version. Yes the bush is actually a wave splash. Earlier they were spraying up twice the height of the lighthouse due to 40 mph sustained winds

Roman Kurywczak
09-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey Gary,
Welcome to the forum! Sweet light and I love the LH silhouette. Rays are a huge plus! I was OK with the OP comp but would suggest adding a touch more base.....feels a bit tight on the bottom. Overall.....very nicely done!