PDA

View Full Version : New Post Falls in Ontario's Abitibi Canyon

Andrew McLachlan
09-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Here is one from a recent trip to the boreal forest in Ontario's far north. As far north as one can drive in the province. This is New Post Falls as it is plunging into the Abitibi River at sunrise. I can't wait to make another trip to this location - it is pure wilderness and extremely remote. I shot many various compositions of this waterfall, but I like this wide-angle view at sunrise the most.

Shot this one with:
D200
12-24 lens @ 12mm
f22 @ 2.2 sec.
ISO 100
2-stop Singh Ray grad filter

This image is a little smaller as I was having trouble keeping it within the 200 KB sizing.

As always looking forward to comments.

Dave Mills
09-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi Andrew, Another fine composition with good use of the rock as foreground material. The use of the grad looks like it evened out the lighting nicely. The sky has just enough well lit clouds and is pleasing.
Due to the slow SS the swirl becomes noticeable and adds to the interest.
The waterfall is so minor within the scene it takes a backseat to the overall....however, good view of it's environment

Roman Kurywczak
09-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey Andrew,
I do wonder if a vert of this.....using the swirl as an anchor point with the rock would make this stronger? Since the clouds were very nice in that area.....might have been the better way to go. Overall though you did an excellent job.

Andrew McLachlan
09-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks for comments Dave and Roman.
Roman, I do agree with you and wish I also shot a vertical of this one too. I usually shoot both vertical and horizontal when I do landscape work, but don't really know why I didn't here.

Much appreciate the comments.