taken at Miranda, Firth of Thames, New Zealand this past weekend
Nikon D300
Nikon 200-400+1.4x@490mm
1/1250s f7.1 iso 400
home-made ground pod with RRS BH55+ Wimberley Sidekick
comments and advice appreciated

Alfred Forns
03-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Hi Tony Sure got a pretty setting for the little guy Love that smooth reflective water Good head angle and sharp

A couple of areas look a little hot The one under the beak lacks any detail Did not see listed the exp comp Early morning with Nikon it seems shooting at 0 comp is working well With Canon you normally have to add light Sometimes up to a stop

For those areas you can make a layer duplicate and multiply Should work If not clone a little texture from surrounding areas One more suggestion is more room all around if you have it

btw for your ground-pod set up might consider a modification Try a Wimberley QR Plate It will allow to mount the lens directly without the sidekick Lower and less weight

Vincent Grafhorst
03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Very pleasing image Tony. I like the overall soft look and the BG is just perfect. If at all I would only slightly increase contrast on the head and back.

Daniel Cadieux
03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Great suggestions already stated. I would also add that the bird is quite tight in the frame. Love the glass smooth water!

Axel Hildebrandt
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Great mood and pose, it is just a bit tight in the frame for my taste.

Tony Whitehead
03-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice, guys. Thanks for the suggestion re the groundpod, Al. For the situations I am using it the gimbal type mount is very useful. I take a perverse pleasure in the cheapness of it - <NZ$20 - obviously excluding the ballhead and sidekick!

Ian McHenry
03-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Really nice image and clean BG Tony.
I usually have a bit of clutter with these birds.
Good work.