PDA

View Full Version : Desert scape

Lorant Voros
09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
My first post on the landscape forum. I had to resize this picture a lot to be able to post it. I hope you guys can still see it. I took it in Namibia, between the dunes of Swakopmund. I spent a few sunrises and sunsets there admiring the everchanging forms, patterns and shapes nature can create. All comments are welcome.

7D
17-40mm
ISO200
f:22
1/60

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Welcome to Landscape Lorant. I like how you placed the arcing sweep of the FG dune at the lower right. It is that placement that would make or break the composition and I think you placed it perfectly. Well done. Limiting the sky as you did is just right too. I like the amount that you left as it contrasts well with the color of the sand and acts to frame the image at top.

Plently of leading lines in the sand from the ripples on the left to the obvious swept of the dune to the stair-like patterns to the right of the sweep. All guide the eye into the image. The low peaks of the dunes in the BG act to top off the image once your eye arrives there.

Jeffrey Sipress
09-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Starkly beautiful.

Judy Howle
09-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Beautiful image with nice colors, patterns in the sand and shapes of the dunes.

Dave Mills
09-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi Lorant, not much too add except the lighting is pleasing and the sand ripples and texture give the image strong interest. Well handled!

Roger Clark
09-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Lorant,

I'll echo what Robert said, and add that I like the way the arc leads us up to the wonderful soft shading on the hills. This is a great image as is. I like the detail in the foreground and wonder if the image would be even stronger if the image went further down, and because of the arc, a little to the right so the arc starts in the corner? In a situation like this, I would take additional images with the camera pointed further down and to the right for a potential mosaic, and/or try a shorter focal length.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
09-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey Lorant,
Welcome to the forum! Excellent comp advice given above. I personally would like to see this a touch darker......further accentuating the ripples and textures. How close was this to sunrise or sunset? I ask because the shadows are generally longer and the closer to sunrise or sunset you get the more dramatic the ripples get. Overall though....I think you did a very good job.

Kaustubh Deshpande
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Beautiful first post. Welcome. loved the perspective and light a lot.

Lorant Voros
09-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and the suggestions. Roger, thank you very much. I have a lot to learn and you gave me some good advice. Roman, thanks for commenting. I don't know exacly what time I took the photo.....I never set the time in my camera, so what the EXIF info gives isn't correct. I was there about 20 minutes after sunrise for about an hour and a half that day, so it could be anything inbetween. I have photos from there with the very last light as well. Maybe I will post one later.

Lorant