PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette gull wingflap.

Daniel Cadieux
09-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Same evening as my previous gull-in-flight image. The evening was done, and when we turned around to head back to the car I saw this awesome opportunity present itself. The setting sun was behind a thin layer of clouds, offering these pretty colours. A gull was preening feverishly so I placed myself in position to photograph it as a silhouette against those colours. Seeing how much into its preening it was I was hoping big-time for a wingflap before those colours vanished...well, my wish was its' command!!

Canon 40D + 100-400L @350mm, manual exposure (-1 stop off lighter, but not lightest, area of sky), aperture priority, 1/1600s., f/7.1, ISO 800, handheld. Full-frame top-to-bottom, with a bit cropped off right to help the comp.

Manos Papadomanolakis
09-25-2010, 12:28 PM
beautiful silhuette with a great light/colors!!!

Troy Lim
09-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Silhouette bug must be going on around ......I am addicted to getting shots like that now. LOL
Nice captured.

Andrew Merwin
09-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Well captured Daniel. The raised foot is a bonus. The colors are lovely. I also like how the color filters through some of the feathers on the raised wings.
TFS

Katie Rupp
09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
Daniel, Absolutely gorgeous sunset colors and light, I like the wingflap and especially the raised foot and would love to have it on my wall.

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Loverly. My favorite part is the light coming through the bases of the primaries. Is the bird turned slightly away from you? Good job of anticipating.

Does anyone know the correct punctuation or lack thereof for the word it's in this phrase: "my wish was its' command"? I think that "my wish was its command" may be correct. But I am not positive.....

Peter Hawrylyshyn
09-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Daniel -
Well planned, thought out and executed. Great colors.
Cropping is always highly personal - to me the HA of the gull is aiming towards upper left. I would have cropped in from the left so bright sun was in ULC, but that's just another perspective.
Definitely a keeper.

Andrew Merwin
09-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Does anyone know the correct punctuation or lack thereof for the word it's in this phrase: "my wish was its' command"? I think that "my wish was its command" may be correct. But I am not positive.....

Possessive; no apostrophe.
Contraction; apostrophe required.

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks Andrew. I know the rule but something about the construction here bugs me a bit and threw my brain off :)

Desmond Chan
09-25-2010, 05:18 PM
This image is just marvelous !! Wish it were mine.

And I prefer the original.

Andrew Merwin
09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I think that "my wish was its command" may be correct. But I am not positive.....

You're welcome. I agree that this is correct. I think this is a possessive use it as "its" is referring to the bird & his/her command.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Very nice silhouette Daniel! lovely colors on sky and good composition. It's nice to see the dirt being thrown as the bird walks.

Joerg Rockenberger
09-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Love it - the original. The colors in the background might even do it by themselves for me even without the bird. Sharpness and pose of the bird are great. Especially like the light coming through the wing feathers. Is that as seen through the viewfinder or a consequence of some image optimization? Thanks, JR

Stu Bowie
09-26-2010, 06:32 AM
The extended wings puts this over the top, and against a colourful BG too. Your comp works for me.

Daniel Cadieux
09-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Hey all, thanks for the great feedback!

Peter's square crop works well too IMO, and one that I did explore while post-processing the image. Artie, yes I believe the gull is pointed slightly away but cannot be too sure as it was perfectly parallel to me before the wingflap...thankfully the silhouette masks that if it is. Joerg, the light coming through the wing feathers is as seen in the viewfinder...you can imagine my delight when I saw this!!

Finally, yes, the "its' it's its" are rather confusing - especially for a second language! Lesson appreciated, thanks!:)