PDA

View Full Version : Young Coot with mother

Per-Gunnar Ostby
09-25-2010, 10:59 AM
taken in Hyde Park earlier this summer. These guys are so cute and colourful at this age

1Ds3
600mm + 1.4X
1/100s at f5.6
Manual
ISO 400

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I like the framing and the good job with the EXP and the whites. SH is good and I like the reflections. There are a few light areas in the upper BKGR that are distracting. I like the inquisitive head turn of the chick but would love to see just a bit more detail on the face.

Joerg Rockenberger
09-26-2010, 01:03 AM
I think that's a great image telling a story. What is the chick looking at with that head tilt? I'd wish to see a bit more of the adults head and the whites seem a bit hot here - not necessarily overexposed but hot lacking detail. Also, I think the image could benefit from a slight CCW rotation. JR

Per-Gunnar Ostby
09-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Every time the mother came near, the one chick would react like this, tilting its head and begging for food.

I find the whites on coots very difficult as it is so bright in comparison to the rest of the plumage, especially in direct light.

I have also struggled with the rotation on this one, as matter how I do it feels it needs a different amount :)