PDA

View Full Version : Black shoulders, White skies

Paul Randall
09-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Black shouldered Kite (Elanus axillaris)

Another flight shot from a quick bit of birding the other week. Probably could be composed as a vertical as well but tried this version first and stuck with it. Still getting the hang of shooting bird in flight images against overcast skies but I am heaps better now than I was at the start of this winter.
Let me know what you think
Comments, critique and reposts welcome Paul

Canon 5D 600mm f4 L (non IS) iso 400 1/3200th f5.6 CW metering +1/3 handheld
Photoshop- slight sharpen of face, added canvas on the left

Amano Samarpan
09-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Surreal .. like it!
Amano

Myer Bornstein
09-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Paul
A very sharp picture. I took the liberty of using a trick the Alan Murphy showed me to add color to a dull background by using the magicwand selecting the sky, new layer, reselecting the image on the new layer inverting it make a new layer and using photofilter selection aadding the cooling filter.
Hope you like it?

Paul Randall
09-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Noticed some sloppy PS work on my behalf in top left corner:o Heres a repost without it.
Thanks for the repost Myer, I'm undecided whether I like the bluish sky effect (not how I remember the situation of course and I'm always biased towards the portrayal of the actual circumstances) but I have some other images that I may use that trick on!!
Thanks for the comments all:cool:

Daniel Cadieux
09-25-2010, 11:38 AM
The blue sky repost does offer an interesting option, but I must admit I rather like the grayish skies of the original. I also like the horizontal comp, but think the kite could be place farther right in the frame. Good pose, and marvelous HA for this flight image!!

Not sure what exposure mode you used, but you'll find that when the light remains constant manual is the way to go for BIFs...adjust exposure once, and no worries about it afterwards...just focus, fire, and hope for the best:cool:

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 07:44 PM
This is a stunning capture. I'm with Dan in preferring the image in Pane 1. The soft light and super detail along with the head and wing positions make this one very special for me. I did love my 50D for flight.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I like both versions. Especially the repost with the bluish sky. Love the head turn and dandling talons.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-25-2010, 07:48 PM
This is a stunning capture. I'm with Dan in preferring the image in Pane 1. The soft light and super detail along with the head and wing positions make this one very special for me. I did love my 50D for flight.
Hello Arthur, I think Paul shoot this image with the 5D, not the 50D.

Paul Randall
09-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hello Arthur, I think Paul shoot this image with the 5D, not the 50D.
Thats right, 5D has been my camera for a couple of years now. Not the fastest in terms of frame rate or focus acquisition but I love the full frame sensor and won't be going back to a smaller sensor any time soon:cool:

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Ooops. Those tired old eyes let me down. Arash did well with flight with one of the 5D bodies but he seems to have disappeared now.

Kiran Poonacha
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Loved the details and eye contact.. great pose too...

Paul Randall
09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks Kiran:D