isi 500
70/200 f.4 Canon (97mm)
f.8
Canon 7d

Could better vertical ?

Ken Watkins
09-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Hi Giova,

I think the main problem here is a lack of shutter speed, opening up the lens would give you a greater speed the lens you have is usually quite sharp (unfortunately I sold mine).

I think a vertical would be better (although you will lose some dust) and try a little more sharpening. I am puzzled by the dark patch on the upper leg of the RHS Zebra.

Other than the above this is the type of Zebra image I have never been able to capture sucessfully.

Giovanni Frescura
09-25-2010, 05:17 AM
now is better ?

Grant Atkinson
09-25-2010, 05:54 AM
Hi Giova, I think this is a strong shot well captured. You did well to capture the zebra furthest away with eyes open, and teeth showing. DOF is good, which allowed you to get them both in focus. I agree that a vertical crop would be good as it would fit the zebra standing up, but you would lose some of the dust which adds to the drama of the fight. Ken, I think the dark patch is just pigment, and if these are Burchells zebras then they have shadow stripes on the rump, and some are more brownish than others.
TFS[Grant

Ken Watkins
09-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Giova,

The repost is better, have you tried a vertical?

Grant,

The dark patch I referred to was to the right of the leg on the BG. I really did not explain myself very well.

Rachel Hollander
09-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Giova - love the action and the repost is definitely stronger. I see the patch that Ken is talking about and it doesn't look natural (too rounded). I like all the dust flying and would, as the others said, be concerned at losing too much on a vertical crop.

TFS,
Rachel

Giovanni Frescura
09-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks
the patch is natural ...sometimes the zebra have it under their legs..
I tried in vertical but...I like the dramatic dust...more

Robert Amoruso
09-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I feel you nailed it with the repost.

Grant Atkinson
09-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Hi Ken, I see what you are referring to, I think it is the rump or side of another animal. There is another one on the far right of the image, half hidden by dust.
cheers
Grant

Giovanni Frescura
09-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Right...it is a buffalo...but I think it not make bad the situation

Rachel Hollander
09-27-2010, 01:23 PM
The buffalo wasn't what I was referring to but I can't speak for Ken. The "spot" I am referring to is off the right rear leg of the zebra and looks like a darker, oblong semi-circle. It's between the hip and the knee but in the grass.

Rachel

Ken Watkins
09-27-2010, 11:19 PM
The buffalo wasn't what I was referring to but I can't speak for Ken. The "spot" I am referring to is off the right rear leg of the zebra and looks like a darker, oblong semi-circle. It's between the hip and the knee but in the grass.

Rachel

Rachel,

Thanks for that, this is what I meant, It certainly does not look like a Buffalo to me.

Grant Atkinson
09-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi Ken and Rachel,
about the oblong shape, I may be wrong but it looks to me like the side of a buffalo that is either facing or looking away. We are seeing just the side of the buffalos belly, which is the rounded shadow on the rhs of the zebra, between its rump and foot. The rest of that animal is hidden almost completely by the two zebra. There is another half-hidden buffalo in the dust on the right of the image
cheers
Grant

Ken Watkins
09-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Whatever the shape is I would certainly consider removing it by cloning or patch.

Rachel Hollander
09-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks Grant. I saw the buff to the right but didn't realize the patch we referred to was another buff. If Giova's ethics allow, I too would clone it out.

Rachel