PDA

View Full Version : American White PelicanWhile

Roger Williams
09-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Upwards of 80 White Pelicans decided to spend the summer months on one of our lakes in the Twin Cities metropolitan area this year providing entertainment for photographers and the general public. Their main diet was black/brown bullheads and I caught this bird flipping one of them.

Canon 7D, Canon 500mm f/4L IS, 1/2000 @ f/6.3, ISO 400, Gitzo tripod. CCV welcomed.

Joerg Rockenberger
09-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Great flip. The bird looks a tad bright. Appears as if you took the image in very bright light... Best, JR

Haim Ziv
09-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Great timing. It's beautiful on my screen, sharp and the color texture are alright.

Connie Mier
09-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Whites look great on my monitor, nice timing on your part.

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 08:05 AM
Whites look pretty good to excellent from here. Lovely fish, COMP, EXP, and even the dark above/light below BKGR works well. (It is usually a combo that I try to avoid.) In an ideal world the bird's head would have been angled/rotated slightly towards us. To try to explain further, it would have been great if we could have seen a glimpse of the bowl-like opening that it the lower mandible. All in all a fantastic capture.

Roger Williams
09-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I appreciate all of your comments. Joerg, FYI, the image was made at 7:24 AM so you may be seeing reflections off the water surface. And, a "fantastic capture" from Artie makes my day! Thanks!

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I am glad for that, Roger. At times around here I feel like the executioner :)

Andrew Merwin
09-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I am glad for that, Roger. At times around here I feel like the executioner :)

Artie, I think your expertise & experience is well worth the occasional acerbic comment. Keep it up as it is invaluable to me & many others who post on this forum. You have earned your exalted position.

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 02:20 PM
I do strive to be honest rather than acerbic :) When an image, however, is a poor one, I need to say that. As for exalted I am just a Jewish kid from Brooklyn who has worked very hard at doing what he loves best for too many years.

Andrew Merwin
09-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Semantics Artie. The point is that you know what you are doing & have earned the right to offer critiques. Regardless of where you are from or your heritage, you are considered one of the best, if not the best, bird photographer. I am simply acknowledging that.

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Many thanks :)

Roger Williams
09-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Its difficult being a teacher/critic. You're dealing with egos and expectations and your student's emotions span the full width of the Captain's Sensitivity Scale. Your critiques will both thrill and disappoint. While there are many good teachers out there, I can think of no one who knocks himself out day after day, teaching photographic fundamentals to those wishing to learn. You're Art of Bird Photography was the first resource I turned to after retirement when deciding to pursue nature photography in a serious way. I've since learned more through your other writings and teachings. Tough, a bit heady at times, but by no means an executioner IMHO. Thanks for your dedication and for sharing your acquired knowledge!

Arthur Morris
09-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks again Roger for your more than kind words. When an image has gotten a bunch of positive responses and I come along and point out seven major flaws, I do feel like "The Executioner" at times.
I am very proud to say that that rarely happens around here any more.

One thing that folks should know is that I critique each image as if it were my own. I do not go easy on beginning photographers or friends. And for some reason, I enjoy sharing my knowledge.