PDA

View Full Version : Fort De Soto

Scott Frye
09-24-2010, 06:22 AM
I will be going to Fort De Soto next Tusday evening and Wednesday morning for shooting sessions. I have been there one other time and am familiar with North Beach. Where else should I look for some avian opportunities?

Van Hilliard
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I usually head to North Beach and don't bother with other locations but part of that is because I have had a foot injury and I nearly always can count on something to photograph at North Beach without engaging in too much walking. Many photographers like to get to East Beach before sunrise to photograph the sunrise and the Skyway Bridge. Often it is possible to get some nice bird shots, including silhouettes and semi-silhouettes during this time and, if you are willing to wade, you can get the early light on the waders and shorebirds. Another vantage point for early light is from the beach at the East Beach picnic area. The two piers often provide opportunities for flight shots so you might want to check those out.

In the mornings, you also can get some photos along the road leading into the park. When you turn toward the park from the Pinellas Bayway, check the golf course ponds. The area before the draw bridge, especially the flats to the right (western side) can be productive. From now until about March, you often can find large numbers of waders there, especially when the tide is out a bit. Yellow-crowned night herons frequent that area and a variety of other herons and egrets feed there as well.

At North Beach, I usually photograph in the area (away from the beach) to the right of the footbridge. You can also walk up the beach and then cross over to the same area where large numbers of birds sometimes (not always, by any means) gather. Downbeach from the footbridge used to be one of the best areas but much of the area is now roped off. I still check it out but it's not the productive area you could count on in the past.
In the aforementioned North Beach area, I have photographed reddish egrets, other egrets and herons, oystercatchers, roseate spoonbills, wood storks, a variety of shorebirds including marbled godwits and a long-billed curlew. You can check my Flickr site to see some of my recent photographs taken in that area. On any given day, you should be able to find something to photograph. The menu changes from day-to-day.