PDA

View Full Version : Bears Just Wanna Have Fun

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2010, 12:18 AM
With all the BPNer's posting bear images, I thought I'd join in for one image.

My daughter wanted to go, and I thought it would make a great graduation present...so off we went to Alaska.
I was in Katmai at Brooks Falls for a lovely 2night/3day stay. When I booked I would have been happy to see a few bears, but I wasn't anticipating bears at every step....Not sure if they were the same bears but we photographed over 30 different bears and met others from all over the world doing the same.
A few encounters were unplanned and close, but I never felt threatened or worried.
I guess my only fear was running out of Memory Cards...:o
The Image: taken from at least 150 yards away, not the best light, but one of my favourites..this bear just didn't like gulls near him or his fish...
D300
Nikon 300 2.8
1/3200
f8
iso-800
overcast day
handheld
big crop

Harshad Barve
09-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Absolute story telling image
TFS

Steve Kaluski
09-24-2010, 02:27 AM
Hi Paul, having recently spent some time with Grizzlies, personally I feel they are very misunderstood, however I would only suggest being with them if you have an experienced guide.

The Gulls are a big problem at times when trying to photograph these bears and I think this illustrates the problems involved. I might suggest cropping some more off the bottom of the image so perhaps you have a little of the river just below the second sand bank. Being overcast in some respects works better, having bright light will often work against you give harsh light & tough shadows. At the end of the day you have an image that you like and enjoy and surely that is all that matters, with a great experience.

TFS
Steve

Grant Atkinson
09-24-2010, 03:54 AM
Hi Paul, thanks for showing an image that shows some interaction. Great to see this happening between the birds and the bear. Your shot tells the story
TFS
Grant

Robert Amoruso
09-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Paul,

Glad you had an opportunity to photograph them - awesome creatures. I too have lots of trouble with the gulls but will try to fit them into an image when I can. I feel here, it they were not in front of the bear, especially at the nose, the image would work better.

Actually you had the best light - overcast allowed you to get the gulls and the bears exposed correctly. In sunlight, exposure for the white birds yields deep shades on the bears.

Rachel Hollander
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Hi Paul - it's a good capture of the action but IMO there are just too many gulls and the 2 interfering with the view of the bear are problematic. I was at Brooks in July. Was this near the lower platform?

TFS,
Rachel

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Rachel this was taken from first bend, before the bridge (lodge side)..we had to wait there until a Sow with Cubs left...next time I go..I'll bring a fishing rod along...;)

Thanks everyone for all the comments,
Steve..no guide needed at Brooks, Rangers take care of all..

Its fairly easy to remove the birds, and come up with an image that works..., with minimal CS4'ing ...:D

Andrew McLachlan
09-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Paul,

I like the look of this version with the gulls removed. Especially the one by the nose as Robert had mentioned.

Andrew