PDA

View Full Version : Beach Dune Tiger Beetle

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2010, 12:00 AM
This little beetles were all over but at first I thought they were flies.
When I took out my bino's and looked at one, I was totally blown away by the colors and jaws on them...there were thousands on the beach.

Tried to photograph one on better contrasty background so you could see the Jaws...but no luck they wouldn't leave the sand.

Good thing they don't bite like Mosquito's...:D.

Image taken with
D300
nikon 105 2.8 macro
handheld
f14
1/1000
iso-640

Dave Mills
09-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Paul, nice view of the beetle. I might take about 2/3 off the top and a small bit off the bottom to help zero in more on the subject. Presently the beetle is almost centered in the image. Good even lighting...

Ken Childs
09-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Paul, if you have the canvas and the pixels, I think this would look better with a tighter, horizontal crop with the beetle coming out of the URC. As you mentioned, the sand isn't the best BG because the bug blends in too well but if you can go just a little tighter, the beetle would stand out more. It's definitely a cool looking bug!

Paul Lagasi
09-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Very nice suggestions...hows this a bit of both ideas

Dave Mills
09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Nice job Paul...I like it!

Steve Maxson
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
These are cool beetles, but normally not that easy to photograph because they are so flighty. Nice job getting a head-on view showing those impressive mandibles. I think the comp in the repost is much better, though the image looks a little brighter than the OP. :)

Julie Kenward
09-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Excellent repost, Paul. I still like the later version better where you're more on eye level with it but this is also a very nice image. I especially like the diagonal position of the insect at the ROT's position in the repost. It really strengthens the crop tremendously. Nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Hey Paul,
Great job following the excellent advice given above. Agre the repost went a touch brighter......but overall very nicely done with this small critter!