PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane Pose

Troy Lim
09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5016581566_6d082363dd_b.jpg
D3s + 400mm VR on Gitzo + Better Beamer.
Was hoping for less algee in the water...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=lookatme><TH>Camera</TH><TD>Nikon D3S (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/72157622461855063/)</TD></TR><TR class=lookatme><TH>Exposure</TH><TD>0.004 sec (1/250)</TD></TR><TR class=lookatme><TH>Aperture</TH><TD>f/7.1</TD></TR><TR class=lookatme><TH>Focal Length</TH><TD>400 mm</TD></TR><TR><TH>ISO Speed</TH><TD>800</TD></TR><TR><TH>Exposure Bias</TH><TD>0 EV</TD></TR><TR><TH>Flash</TH><TD>On, Return detected</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mital Patel
09-23-2010, 12:22 PM
beautiful pose troy. i dont know your position while taking this image but i think giving a lower angle would have been better.
you have got beautiful light here btw. never seen or used flash or beamer as in india no body does and even not allowed in any of national park or sanctuary so always surprise how really it fills up :)
plz share some tips i want to know about it.

Troy Lim
09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
beautiful pose troy. i dont know your position while taking this image but i think giving a lower angle would have been better.
you have got beautiful light here btw. never seen or used flash or beamer as in india no body does and even not allowed in any of national park or sanctuary so always surprise how really it fills up :)
plz share some tips i want to know about it.

Mital, I should have put more description on that. It was in a pond area. If I go really low, houses or light poles would get in the BG, if i go half way, would get a dark line across in the BG from the edge of the pond. That was why I shot at a higher angle.

As for beamer, I believe I shot at -2EV output @ 50mm distance. Hope this helps. Too bad you are not allowed to use it. It is a great tool.

Mital Patel
09-23-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks troy i got it man. we have Sarus Crane in place of this giant bird you have :)

Troy Lim
09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
thanks troy i got it man. we have Sarus Crane in place of this giant bird you have :)

Love to see some shots sometimes.

Scott Frye
09-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Difficult bird to shoot because of the size but this pose works well -- and I really like the subtle color changes in the background

Grant Atkinson
09-24-2010, 03:46 AM
Hi Troy, I like your composition and the pose of the bird, makes a nice S-shape. Also liked the detail revealed in the feathers by the flash. I wonder how it would look with the BG a little darker?
Thanks for sharing this image of a spectacular bird
cheers
Grant

Troy Lim
09-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Hi Troy, I like your composition and the pose of the bird, makes a nice S-shape. Also liked the detail revealed in the feathers by the flash. I wonder how it would look with the BG a little darker?
Thanks for sharing this image of a spectacular bird
cheers
Grant

Grant, you are welcome to grab a copy of it and play with it and post it on here.