PDA

View Full Version : Living in Harmony

subramanya_ck
09-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Dear All,

Made this image in the third week of August in Daroji Sloth Bear Sanctuary- India. I had the option of cloning out the Francolin, but wanted to show the harmony with which these creatures live in the rocky terrains of Daroji.

1D MK III + 500 f/4 + 2E
Aperture Priority : f/8 : 1/1600 : ISO-1000 : -2/3 Exp.Comp

BTW, I tried my hands on 2X converter. Please let me know your views & Suggestions for improvement.

Best Regards,
Subbu

Ken Watkins
09-23-2010, 11:54 PM
No problems with the Francolin for me, but I think it would be better without it. Very sharp given the usr of 2X. The most obvious nit is the head and sun angles a slight head turn to the left would have allowed for a better view of the right eye.

We will be going to Daroji next year I would be happy with anything usable of an animal I have never seen.

Harshad Barve
09-24-2010, 01:17 AM
This is nice image Subbu , Ken nailed the C & C here
TFS

We will be going to Daroji next year I would be happy with anything usable of an animal I have never seen.

Better guides will give you better images

Grant Atkinson
09-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Hi Subramanya, this is a good picture for me of an animal that I guess is probably quite difficult to photograph well. I only ever saw their tracks on the ground when I was visiting India. I think you did well with good sharpness, good DOF and the composition is good. I liked the large claws showing out of the fur, tells us what the animal does. Perhaps you could get a tiny bit more detail out of that shaded eye in PS. Also, one exposure question, what metering setup where you using and what was your reasoning behind underexposing the image.
cheers
Grant

Robert Amoruso
09-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Subbu,

I agree with Ken's C &C too.

Please enlighten, what is the species?

subramanya_ck
09-25-2010, 04:27 AM
Dear Al,,

Thanks for tour comments. And sorry for the late reply./ I was out of town for last two days on an office work.

Hi Ken.. Thanks for your suggestions. When you are in India next time, please drop me a mail (cks3976 <at> gmail dot com). I will be more than happy to accompany you to Daroji. August to October is the best time.. apart from Sloth Bear.. there are other endemic species in Daroji- such as Painted Spurfowls and lot of other birds. You will love the place..

Hi Atkinson.. Thanks for your good words. Using 2X was merely an experiment. And I under-exposed the image to get better shutter speed. With 2X the aperture was already at f8. And the setting sun was making hand-holding the lens a bit tough. SO I decided to take chance by under-exposing the image- instead of pushing the ISO further. And that worked out well.

BR,
Subbu