PDA

View Full Version : Peace Lily Leaf

Dave Woeller
09-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Looking for more guidance to improve shots like this. I was attracted to the curve of the leaf through the frame and the backlighting through the lower section. My questions would revolve around, does it need more of the leaf in focus? Should I have concentrated on getting the leafs main vein sharper?. Also, I would ask if there needs to be something more to hold your attention in the shot. Lots of Q'S and I'm sure I'll get constructive guidance here. Thanks
7D Tripod mounted , 24-105mm @105mm, ISO 400, 1/15 sec @ F4.5, - 2/3 ev, Pattern metering.

Roman Kurywczak
09-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey Dave,
All excellent questions so I hope the answers will help. I see what drew your eye to this. Many times when leaves are backlit.....they have an almost stained glass apeearance which is quite lovely......so for me more DOF to capture the veins would be the way to go. This is one of those few cases you can actually take it in a brighter light.....exposing for the lightest areas.....because it shows off the fine details w/o blowing it out and makes the stained glass even more impressive. While I can see why you were drawn to the curve and I like the play between light and dark.....it's a case of more or less......entire curve or none of it. Look at it this way....more of the curve and rim lit right......against the dark BG.....prehaps on a diagonal......and less of the stem on the LLC. Trhow in the more DOF to get all the fine details......you are onto something! You could also explore eliminating the URC.....using the vein as a comp element.....same DOF and light to bring out the fine details. Hope this makes sense and let's see what others chime in.

Mike Moats
09-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey Dave, with the backlighting highlights all the great looking veins in the leaf and you want to show that by adding for depth of field.

Dave Woeller
09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks Roman and Mike. This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. Lots of thoughts directions to consider and try. i appreciate the time and guidance. I had shot this leaf with the highlighted edge farther into the frame, but felt that there was just too much dark area in the upper right portion. Just shows I still need to develop my eye a bit more. It's good to have different thoughts presented to help me grow and see others point of view. I'll definately be exploring the tips given in future sessions.

Ken Childs
09-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Dave, this has already been covered in depth by Roman and he already said more than I would have. I agree that more DOF is probably the best way to go but while you're at it, try a couple of shots at f2.8, with tubes if you've got them. Pick a sharp looking point to focus on, maybe the edge of the leaf. You never know what you might get. :)

Dave Woeller
09-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks Ken, Even more cool stuff to try. I'm sure that there are plenty of folks who would like both more and less DOF depending on personal taste. It's all good info and keeps me striving to move ahead. Gonna shoot some more on this plant tomorrow. I'll definately try in both directions. I do have a 100 mm 2.8 macro lens that might get me where your leaning.