PDA

View Full Version : On my last legs

Steve Maxson
09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
When I spotted this small fruit fly, I noticed that it was having difficulty moving about and was unable to fly - then, I saw the engorged red mite attached to its side (along with several smaller ones) - likely the cause of its problems. Being engrossed in getting the fly in focus, I didn't notice until later that the fly's two middle legs were no longer functioning - so it truly was on its last legs :( 40D, MP-E 65 mm, 1/125, f/16, ISO 400, MT-24 twin lites (diffused), hand held. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
09-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Hey Steve,
Hard to feel bad for a fly......but you manged to do just that! Tansluscence of the wings is cool.....so wish I could see other wing also.....but very cool nature story we don't often get to see!

Mike Moats
09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Hey Steve, cool details, like the little hairs. Like the transulcent look in the body.

Bob Miller
09-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Very Nice image...lots to like esp the overall sharpness , detail, and the wings:)

Ken Childs
09-24-2010, 09:59 AM
You guys and those MP-E 65's!

Beautiful detail where it counts on this, Steve! The mite may be a horrible parasite but it sure adds some nice color that contrasts nicely with the relatively plain colored fly.

Julie Kenward
09-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Another amazing image, Steve. I don't know that I would have known that the red thing was a mite - you bug guys are light years ahead of me in that respect.

I know the DOF on this lens is very tricky. I think you did very well here although I would have liked to have seen the very back end of the bug a little sharper. I do like how the one wing is almost non-existent (because of the angle) letting us see the other wing clearly and in great detail.