PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly

thijs broekkamp
09-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Went out photographing this morning. Unfortunately it was a warm evening so there were no water drops and the dragonflies were already flying. At last I found one wich I could photograph. Tried every position and aperature, but i couldn't get the wings and body sharp.

Sigma 150mm
Tripod, wired remote
Iso 400
f9
1/25e

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/_MG_4872bwrktsrgbfull.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey Thijs,
I don't think any aperature would work to get it all sharp because of the wing position. It is sharp where it needs it on the body but for me the bit of falloff on the perch is more bothersome than on the wings. The light is handled very nicely as usual from you .....so you did well overall given the angle that you were working with.

Steve Maxson
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi Thijs. Excellent sharpness on the body of the dragonfly and I don't mind the DOF falloff on the wings. I also like the soft light, the subtle colors, and the background. I would agree with Roman that the image would be even stronger if more of the perch was in focus - though that is a relatively minor point in my view. :)

Mike Moats
09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey Thijs, just a fact of life that dragons are just about imposible to get that much wing spanned in focus and still blur out the BG. You did right by making sure the body was sharp, and the body has a great look in the design and colors.

thijs broekkamp
09-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Some other comments on photo sites were that the colours were too purple, what do you think about this?

Bob Miller
09-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Like the shot alot....nice focus where needed....oof perch Ok for me...does look a bit too cool in color...you might consider adding some warmth with photo filter adjustment layer

Ken Childs
09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Thijs, the important parts of this dfly are all nice and sharp so I think you did as well as can be expected with the conditions presented to you. I might try lightening up the thorax just a bit so more detail shows through. I'm guessing this wasn't possible but I think this might have looked a little better if the shot was taken from a slightly higher angle.

Since I've never seen this species before, I can't comment on whether or not the colors are off.

Brandy Katzen
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
I like this best with the wings NOT sharp. It has more of a sense of depth this way.