PDA

View Full Version : An environmental

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM

D3 200f/2 + TC17EII (340mm) 1/800 @ f/7.1 ISO2500 +.33EV Spot focus & meter (experimenting) HH, slight pan,
Standard Picture Control, NR, sharpening, no other tonal adjustments (which is unusual for me). Major cleaning job on very trashed out water (didn't attack the foreground, though). Cropped to about 62% of original.

Uncertain about the crop... lose the bottom?

Thanks for looking...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Desmond Chan
09-23-2010, 01:19 AM
I know it's an environmental shot, but, have to say I don't find the environment very attractive :D If I have to choose between cropping the top or the bottom, I would choose the bottom.

Good job catching the bird just took off !

Lance Peters
09-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Hi Michael - used the D3 for a few years and never found a use for spot metering except for LANDSCAPES - IMHO matrix is easier and after using it really becomes 2nd nature - BIF is next to impossible with spot - BUT too each their own :)
I would definitely crop some from the bottom - like how you have left space up front for him to fly into. Head/eye looks like it might be a fraction soft.
:)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Desmond,

Greetings. Thanks for the comment... learning with what I have (environmentally...).

Lance,

Greetings. I have been using matrix on your suggestion (& Al's) some time ago, at least 6 months. Matrix, unfortunately, hasn't become 2nd nature for me (the EV adjustments), particularly BIF (usually through changing lighting, background). Manual for the latter has been suggested, but more experience required (for me), again to evaluate EV. It's all a work in progress (me). I think as I gain more experience matrix will become more natural to me... I find it particularly challenging for high contrast (color and/or lighting) - subject to background - situations (where spot makes the choice, well, on the spot ;) ).

So, I've been experimenting with spot again. Thought I nailed exposure on this one... no?

Thanks much for the comments ... I work with them a lot.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Joel Eade
09-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Michael,

With regard to exposure I can't be certain but the top of the bird's back looks a little hot, might not be clipped but just looks like it. I like the pose and would favor a crop from the bottom. I wonder if your AF locked on to the far wing since it looks sharper than the head/eye area.

Joel

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Joel,

Greetings. Thanks for commenting. You have good eyes... AF was locked on back wing (front wing is oof), back is about 240... I'm guessing lack of detail gives impression of being blown.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Ben_Sadd
09-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Michael,

I would also crop from the bottom to remove the partial reflection. The wing also has the "impression" of being hot to me.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Ben...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Bob Miller
09-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Mike...I Like the bg and the takeoff pose is a good catch. Cropping from the bottom is my only suggestion