Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS @ 70mm
Av mode
1/320"
F8
ISO:400
LR & CS3
HH

For some reason the mud around this particular pond gets this cool texture when the water drops.

Dave Woeller
09-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi Ken, I think the dark and rough textures of the mud really make the bright red of the leaf stand out. I'm wondering how this would look with the leaf just a touch larger in the frame, although it really does convey the sense of isolation well. The placement of the leaf is right on in my opinion.

Desmond Chan
09-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Hmm...I like the size of the leaf as is, but I may like to see the leaf positioned somewhere else. Perhaps closer to the lower left? May have to rotate the leaf though :)

Roman Kurywczak
09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey Ken,
Pretty wild with the mud texture! The shock of leaf color really adds a nice contrast. I'm going to go in between desmond and Dave's suggestions......I would like to se this with a few degree CCW rotation and then crop in a touch tighter. Just some thought to this unusual image that was very well seen.

Mike Moats
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Ken, I agree the leaf needs to be larger in the frame. The textures of the mud is very nice but I think there is to much which the leaf would take care of if larger. I also agree on a slight more diagonal slight on the leaf.

Ken Childs
09-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the comments.
I do have some room to work with on this so I'll play around with the suggested rotation and crop.

Steve Maxson
09-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Not much to add here, Ken. You've got a good image to work with and a few tweaks, as suggested above, would make it even better. :)

Bob Miller
09-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi ken....I vote for a lower left hand side placement,,,,but its all good!

Julie Kenward
09-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Not sure how you'll feel about this one, Ken, but I say when you have color like that, go big and go bold so I cropped it down, turned the leaf slightly so it pointed towards the URC and then deepened the intensity of the gray and the red/pink.

Ken Childs
09-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Jules, after reading Roman's comments about crop and rotation, I did a quick edit and ended up with something almost exactly the same as what you posted. :)

I didn't do anything else besides the crop and rotation but I do like what you did. After past critiques about over-saturated reds, I guess I'm a bit timid about them and at times may back off more than necessary. :o