PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye Butterfly on Sedum

Bob Miller
09-22-2010, 09:57 AM
My backyard sedum is a butterfly magnet....5 difft species...buckeye among them!
Nikon D-300
1/40 sec at f11
ISO800
180 Macro with 1.4 tc
Comments welcome!

Lance Peters
09-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Bob - gorgeous colours and markings on this one. For my tastes a little too much negative space on the LHS.
Might be able to coax some more detail out with some careful sharpening.
Well done with the slow SS.
:)

Joel Eade
09-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Bob,

Nice sharpness at 1/40 sec....was that hand held? I like the vibrant colors of the buckeye against the pale colors of the flowers and to me the sharpness looks good. I do agree with Lance about perhaps looking at a version with some cropped off the left.

Joel

Julie Kenward
09-25-2010, 03:54 AM
Bob, I agree that there's a little too much sedum for the size of the butterfly in the image. I took your crop down to an 8x10 size and turned the frame a bit. It leaves the butterfly pretty centered which isn't always ideal but this gives a nice balance of green to flower IMO so I went with it in this case.

I also used a round of High Pass Filter on the entire image, changing the blend mode to overlay and reducing the opacity a bit so it wasn't oversharpened. Next time, if you can scoot a bit more to the left and get him more square to the focal plane that would be the most ideal comp but this one is also very nice.