PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Bridge after 7.1 Earthquake.

Ian McHenry
09-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Early morning of 4 September we had a large 7.1 earthquake and we are still having the aftershocks.
Here is an image of a pedestrian bridge which was severely damaged.
Comments & critiques welcome.
Here is url for my earthquake gallery : http://www.pbase.com/ianmc/christchurch_earthquake
Details: Pentax K10D with Sigma 18-200 @ 63mm.
Mid-afternoon, 1/250 @ F11, Minus 0.5 ev.
400 ISO, Multi Segment Metering
Cheers: Ian Mc

Kaushik Balakumar
09-22-2010, 05:53 AM
Wow !
Nature is powerful.
While on one hand look how still the trees are while on the other hand the man-made bridge has taken a beating !

Ian McHenry
09-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks Kaushik.
As I understand it, the trees that were destroyed were on one of the actual faultlines.
(Another 4.5 this morning, over 2 1/2 weeks after original quake)

Arthur Morris
09-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Yikes. Was there any damage to homes, cities. your stuff?

Ian McHenry
09-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Artie
We came out of it pretty well apart from a few breakages of fallen objects.
Would strongly recommend that any heavy items be removed from high shelves, particularly in bedrooms.
Some items tossed a couple of metres across the room and some people physically thrown out of bed.
Severe cracks particularly in old brick buildings in the CBD has meant their collapse or marked for demolition.
Also the geologists were unaware of this particular fault and so it was entirely unexpected that we got a quake of this severity although we do get several light quakes a year.
If in an area which could have earthquakes do put together a survival kit like water, transistor radio,torch, cans etc.
Our power was off for about 6 hours and no water for part of the day. Other areas still have no water or sewage.
Fortunately no loss of life due to actual quake but possibly fatalities from heart attacks. Cardiology Dept has been going flat out so if any family history of Coronary Artery Disease do get yourself checked out.
Another 4.6 this morning nearly 3 weeks after the big one. At last count 805 quakes including the original.
Here is url showing map & E/quake details: http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/
Was wondering whether to post anymore e/quake pix or leave it to people to check out my earthquake gallery.
http://www.pbase.com/ianmc/christchurch_earthquake

Arthur Morris
09-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the tips IAN. Not many earthquakes here in Central Florida and my heart is in excellent shape. I do visit San Diego a lot. Felt a small tremor once. Glad that things turned out well for you.

Julie Kenward
09-24-2010, 07:41 AM
That is amazing! As someone who works for an engineering firm I can only imagine the forces that it took to twist that bridge that way. So glad to hear you're all doing well, especially considering all the aftershocks you've experienced.

Rachel Hollander
09-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Ian - glad to hear you're ok. I was in Christchurch in late 2007 and I am so sorry to see the destruction in your photos and on the news. Is that bridge in the park?

Ian McHenry
09-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the good wishes Artie, Jule & Rachel.
Julie one of the most impressive or awesomely scary sights is the large manhole covers in the the middle of some street which look hugely heavy, but have been pushed way up above the surface of the streets.
Rachel you possibly remember that the central city is bounded by 4 avenues. One of these is Fitzgerald Avenue on the east side towards the sea and one of the streets which comes off it is River Road. That bridge joins River Road to Avonside Drive which is one of the worst affected streets in Christchurch.