Ian Cassell
09-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Canon 7D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 430EX + Diffuser

1/200 sec f/8 ISO 500

Crop, S/H, Sharpening in CS5
NR in Noiseware Pro

These blooms seem to be coming one at a time and don't last long.

Roman Kurywczak
09-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey Ian,
I think you did very well with this one! Sharp on the hairs.....w/ falloff where it needs to be! I do think this would be a touch stronger if you had a bit more of the curve of the petal on the botton.....makes a strong leading line so just a sliver more for my tastes.....but overall.....very well done!

Steve Maxson
09-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi Ian. Nice colors and I like the ROT comp. For my tastes, I'd like to see the yellow stamens sharp - but we all see the world differently :) (and that might bring the petals more in focus than you wanted). I like Roman's suggestion about the curved petal at the bottom.

Ian Cassell
09-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Roman and Steve. Steve, that's exactly why the yellow is not sharp. The DOF was such that doing that would have made the petals sharper as well and I didn't like that. I think the only way around that would be focus stacking -- a technique I have not yet learned.

Ken Childs
09-22-2010, 05:15 PM
I have to agree with Steve but I understand why it wasn't possible unless you focus stacked. There's so much red in this shot that IMO, the yellow needs to be sharp to balance it out.