PDA

View Full Version : Gull for ID

Amano Samarpan
09-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Assume this is a Great Black-backed Gull in the rain ... but wondering if it might be a Herring Gull!?
AMANO:2eyes2:

Chris Sloan
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Where and when taken?

Myer Bornstein
09-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Black mantle equals great black backed gull, gray mantle equals Herring gull

Chris Sloan
09-22-2010, 01:59 PM
It's not that simple. There are a lot of other possibilities depending on when and where it was taken and the fact that gulls are notorious vagrants. I've said this before, but the mods really should make it a requirement that all photos posted include the date and location, because that is often a significant part of the ID equation. This certainly appears to be Great Black-backed (I certainly agree it's not an American Herring Gull), but I want to know that before I reach a conclusion.

Daniel Cadieux
09-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Good and important points about date and location - huge parts in bird identifaction. Chris, this has already been covered in this forum's "Welcome Message" (sticky thread atop this forum).:)

Assuming this was taken during Amano's recent IPT in New York during August (or around that time and location) I would say this is Greater Black-backed. Good idea to hold off 100% ID though until Amano can confirm this.

Myer Bornstein
09-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Well since it was from Amano and I was at the IPT with him I said GBBG:D

Daniel Cadieux
09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Well there you go...thanks Myer, ID clinched:)

Amano Samarpan
09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey hey ... this was not taken while I was on the IPT with Myer et al but a few days before from the 3 Star Motel off Crossbay Boulevard at Howard's Beach.
It was actually sitting on top of a boat canopy in the channel there.
I thought GBBG but gulls ain't easy as this post illustrates.
So the final ID .. !!?
Amano

Chris Sloan
09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes, it's a GBBG, probably a late third cycle bird based on the molt and feather wear and the dark tipped primaries.

Amano Samarpan
09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
date for image 16'th of august 2010
Amano

John Chardine
09-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Good and important points about date and location - huge parts in bird identifaction. Chris, this has already been covered in this forum's "Welcome Message" (sticky thread atop this forum).:)

Assuming this was taken during Amano's recent IPT in New York during August (or around that time and location) I would say this is Greater Black-backed. Good idea to hold off 100% ID though until Amano can confirm this.

I'll put up a separate sticky on posting to this forum.