PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin

Roy Churchill
09-21-2010, 02:05 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Camera: 7D
Lens: 300/2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/320
Aperture: f8
ISO: 200
Metering Method: Manual
Support: Hand held

After years of editing on a CRT I have just got a LCD screen and things look very different - editing seems a whole new ball game so I would be interested in what you think of this.
This is a fairly hefty crop as there were other birds in the frame (hence f8).
Converted in DPP and the usual adjustments in CS4 (Levels, highlights/shadows, sharpening (lab mode).

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p267/RoyC_photo/dun6.jpg

Lance Peters
09-21-2010, 02:52 AM
Hi Roy - Like the pose,exposure looks good and sharp to boot. Nice catchlight in the eye.
Feels like it needs a little CW rotation.

I dont understand what you mean here....

BG is a little busy - but not much you could do about that.
Good show :)

Roy Churchill
09-21-2010, 03:24 AM
I dont understand what you mean here....

Thanks for the feedback Lance. What I meant was I was actually trying to take a shot a two birds in the same frame which is why I stopped down to f8 to try and get both birds in focus. Unfortunately the other bird was slightly out of focus so I have just cropped the one bird. Had I been taking the one bird shot I would probably have opened up to f5.6 to try and throw the BG OOF a bit more.
I take your point about the rotation - never even thought about that but a couple of degrees clockwise would probably do it.

Lance Peters
09-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Hi Roy - as you found out F8 was never going to be enough DOF unless the bird was pretty much level with this one - lots of handy DOF calculators are available --- even for your phone. Can come in handy!!

christopher galeski
09-21-2010, 04:44 AM
nice one Roy,the detail in the feathers do it for me,as been said by Lance,needs a bit of CW rotation.thanks.

Bob Miller
09-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Nicely sharp...only wish bg were not so busy..but as is still very nice shot!

Mark Young
09-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Nice roosting pose. Getting right down on the mud may have helped to provide you with a slightly better bg, or moving slighlty to your right to not have the rock behind the birds head. Lots of nice details in the bird nonetheless.