PDA

View Full Version : Morning Blues

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-21-2010, 12:32 AM

Early morning, cropped pano from Joshua Tree National Park. Morning haze transformed by blue fill layer and blending (not sure what, I did this a while ago, probably multiply blend).

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Paul Lagasi
09-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Very nice, like the different tones of blue...Well Done

denise ippolito
09-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Layers and layers of blue. The pano crop works well here. I do see a couple of dust bunnies in the darker area at the bottom or it could just be things in the scenery but either way I'd evict them. Very nicely done Michael. Looks like a wall hanger!:)

Mark Fuge
09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Nice image and application, Michael.

Like the layer effect of this and the mountain shapes.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Paul, Denise, Mark,

Thanks much...

Denise, Thanks for pointing out the need for touch up.

You might find the original interesting.... Playing with this more I rediscovered the technique:
Two adjustment layers, blue fill layer (with multiply blend) and curves. So with 3 adjustments available, color for the fill layer, opacity for the blend mode and curves,
because of the separation of the lightness of the hills one can adjust the tone separately in curves for each hill (which with multiply blend effects saturation and slightly the hue),
the base hue of all the hills with the color of the fill layer,
and opacity for saturation and overall brightness.

One detail is the fill layer has to be on top else you get posterizing artifacts with the curves adjusment.

Great fun.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Kerry Perkins
09-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Hey Michael, I'm pretty sure that I've been to that spot. Looks like somewhere in the southern Mojave or Colorado Desert. Joshua Tree? I love the blue treatment you gave it, just super. Very nice work and I would definitely print this one and hang it!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Kerry... It's Joshua Tree National Park...

Cheers,

-Michael-

denise ippolito
09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I like the original too!

Steve Adkins
09-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Amazing transformation. TFS the process!