PDA

View Full Version : River Otter Eating Fish

Gary Hamilton
09-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Lamar River, Yellowstone N.P. After catching a fish, the otters would bring them over to the river bank to eat at close range. So much fun to watch.

Canon 1D Mk III
Canon 500mm f/4
ISO 640
1/250th
f/6.3

Arthur Morris
09-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Nicely framed with a nice fish and a nice set of teeth. Is the darker area above the otter's back and behind the ear part of the animal or is it a rock? Do you know the fish species?

My main wish is that we could see the eyes of the otter.

Gary Hamilton
09-21-2010, 05:00 AM
I believe it is a rock behind his ear--possibly another one of the otters. In any event, it is a bit distracting. Not sure of the fish species, will have to check on it. Seeing the otter's eyes would be a nice touch, although I get a kick out of the intensity the otter shows as it chomps on the fish. The fish the otters were eating must have been very tough or bony because the otters really had to chew hard on them before swallowing.

Robert Amoruso
09-21-2010, 08:33 AM
If the resolution can support it, I would suggest even a tighter crop on the head.

Gary Hamilton
09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Nicely framed with a nice fish and a nice set of teeth. Is the darker area above the otter's back and behind the ear part of the animal or is it a rock? Do you know the fish species?

My main wish is that we could see the eyes of the otter.

The literature indicates that river otters tend to favor various types of sucker fish.

Arthur Morris
09-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks Gary. I guess that they are suckers for that type of fish....