View Full Version : Assassin Bug

Ian Cassell
09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Canon 7D
Canon 100mm f/2.8L
Canon 430EX + Diffuser

1/250 sec f/6.3 ISO 100

Crop, S/H, Sharpening in CS5

A little more DOF would have been nice. I need to learn about image stacking.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-20-2010, 02:59 PM
A lovely image Ian. Finely exposed frame with lovely colours and a neat BG.
Stopping down couple of stops more might have given you better DOF...?
You could have probably pulled it off considering your current shutter speed and ISO settings.
Just a thought.

Ken Childs
09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I think Kaushik already gave you the suggestion I would have. Stopping down and increasing the ISO could have added DOF without lowering the SS much if at all.

As to the comp, I think I would crop a sliver off the top. Other than the stuff already mentioned, I think it looks really good. :)

Bob Miller
09-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Ian. I like this...nice sharpness and detail....bg handled well....Agree with cropping a bit from top. Nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Hey Ian,
Great advice given above and I agree with it. I mage stacking is very effective.....when super close! In this case just getting to f8 or f11.....probably would have been enough. Just keep that in mind when out in the field and bracket with the DOF.

Steve Maxson
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
A nice alert, diagonal pose, and yes, a little more DOF would be nice, but it isn't bad, as presented. In my experience, it is difficult not to "overflash" these assassin bugs so you did a good job on that account. I would suggest adding a sliver of room on the right side (if you have it) so that the edge of the plant bud (?) isn't clipped. :)