PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rhino New Addition at Lion Country Safari

Mark Fuge
09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
This weekend we decided to revisit Lion Country Safari in WPB, as we had heard that they had some new species on exhibit. We did see Camels have taken over the former Elephant compound, but then came across one of the rarest of creatures in captivity. The extremely rare South American (yes, it is from South America) Brazilian Blue Rhino. Due to the size and nature of the Brazilian jungle, it has remained unknown to many, but has recently come into the limelight of American animal parks. LCS is one of the first to get one for display. It was interesting, as it resembles the White Rhino of Africa, but for its blue tint. We hope to get more images in the future. This is as close as we wanted to get at this time. ;)

Modifications in CS4 included; Layer to lay on the Blue Tint, Fractalius, Topaz Detail and other normal PS image adjustments.

Enjoy!

Mital Patel
09-20-2010, 10:11 AM
i like the multiple use of different plugs here mark. may be a bit of facial details more needed attention as the fracto made it so clumsy it got match with skin.

Indranil Sircar
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Very nice, Mark. Thanks for the introduction to blue rhino from Brazil ;) I like the effect on the Rhino A bit more definition for the eye would enhance this image further.

denise ippolito
09-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Mark, I think you did a good job combining the filters. I'm not a fan of mixed lighting and think the shadowed side of the head makes it a bit difficult to make out. Seems a bit tight in the frame. BUT this has Mark Fuge written all over it so I guess you have developed your own style and kudos to you for that.:)

Steve Adkins
09-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Mark, neat frac work and pose. Now I have 1 more reason to explore Brazil! :)

Judy Howle
09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Nice colors and use of the filters Mark.

Kerry Perkins
09-20-2010, 11:29 PM
Hey Mark, looks like this big boy is about to push that tree over! I like the fract work, looks very cool. For my eye I would like to see the level of the blue shadows on the left a bit lower, but as you say...

Paul Lagasi
09-21-2010, 01:13 AM
I've heard of Black, White but a Blue Rhino, from Brazil....lolol..... guess I need to watch more Discovery Channel....cool image, if it were mine Mark I probably add a layer of just the eye....nice idea

Mark Fuge
09-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

One comment for Denise ... You try to stick a full grown Rhino into an 8"x10" frame!!! ;) :D They aren't that cooperative, you would soon find out! :D I tried to get Juanita to hold a remote flash on the darkside, but ... well, I'm sure you know her reaction!! :confused:

The tree is a rubbing tree that LCS has put there for the Rhinos. He was just using it for a rear rub before the image was taken.

The blue was added with a layer where I removed all "non blue" areas. I set the density at about 60% and let it fall on the Rhino where it may ... the lighter areas. I didn't paint him ... again due to the desire to keep my distance for the shot. :o

Jim Bridges
09-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I enjoyed seeing the work you did on this...it's a very interesting image to me.

Mark Fuge
09-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks Jim for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.