PDA

View Full Version : African skimmer and hippo

Grant Atkinson
09-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Canon 1Dmk3, Canon EF300f2.8is, handheld from a boat. S/speed 1/5000s at f4.0. Iso500. Eval metering. Processed in ACR6 and PS. Location Chobe River, Botswana. 7 Sept 2010, 11h09 am. Given more time for this shot, I would have shot at f5.6, but it was a pure reflex shot that I couldn't resist, and I just shot the camera at what it was set at. All C and C welcome
cheers
Grant

www.grantatkinson.com (http://www.grantatkinson.com)

Eric Diller
09-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Cool shot! Love the Hippo in the BG!

Daniel Cadieux
09-20-2010, 02:43 PM
Interesting image, it screems africa with that hippo(s) in the BG. Speaking of which, I find it cramped up there at the top with the back almost touching the frame. Either adding back canvas if you have it, or a careful crop to minimize its impact on the image, would be a couple of options to explore. I would also reduce the light reflections along the bottom of its body. Nice incoming pose on the skimmer, and I like the two patches of disturbed water it created behind it.

Arthur Morris
09-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Well conceived and executed but it does need a bit more room above the hippo. Was the skimmer skimming when the image was made? The water behind the bill looks funky.

Grant Atkinson
09-21-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi Eric, Daniel and Arty, thanks for your comments. Dan, thanks for pointing out the reflection on the hippo, I will remove that. Arty, the skimmer was just finishing a run, hence the ruffled water behind the bill. On a full screen version you can see it quite nicely. I had some space on the original capture above the hippo, and have added it in this repost.
Thanks again for the comments guys
Grant
www.grantatkinson.com (http://www.grantatkinson.com)

Arthur Morris
09-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Much better with the room above. You almost always want to have a border around stuff that you choose to include in the image...

Daniel Cadieux
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes that added room above makes a big diference! The toned down reflections look better too.