PDA

View Full Version : Female Mallard

Dave Phillips
03-10-2008, 06:16 PM
This little female was giving me a slight "look back" and I caught her doing it :)
Shot on a narrow bayou, so varied reflections from far bank.
Do you feel they compete with the subject?
http://i28.tinypic.com/2i11e7q.jpg

400mm, f/5.6, 1/400, ISO 400, +.33EV
TIA for your input on this look back girl

Robert O'Toole
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Like the reflections but they could use some curves enhancement to give them a richer more saturated look.

Hope you dont mind the repost. Used curves on a layer mask and added some very mild usm.

Robert

Dave Phillips
03-10-2008, 06:52 PM
don't mind at all Robert...here to learn.
Thanks for input....I had gotten into habit of keeping sat lower on smaller birds, but here it has a good quality, thanks

Robert O'Toole
03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
It is always tricky with a darkish bird on light reflections. The best way to handle the contrast is with quick masks or layer masks. This way you can darken and add contrast to the water while protecting/avoiding the subject.

Robert

Axel Hildebrandt
03-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Nice pose and water patterns. The repost makes it pop.

Dave Phillips
03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
It is always tricky with a darkish bird on light reflections. The best way to handle the contrast is with quick masks or layer masks. This way you can darken and add contrast to the water while protecting/avoiding the subject.
Robert

thanks for the tips, here's what I did in rework, not quite as warm as yours Robert, but I did it withot comparing until afterward

Axel Hildebrandt
03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Your repost looks good and I'm sure you remember best what it looked like when you made the image.

Steve Canuel
03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I like this one Dave. Your's has a nice soft feel to it, like she's lazily gliding along, while Robert's (and your) repost give it a bit more pizzaz. Both versions are nice and a good example of one of the great things about digital images (the ability to process according to mood)
Steve