PDA

View Full Version : Early morning on the river

Matt Lerer
09-19-2010, 11:35 PM
This is another HDR shot that I liked. I had the camera set up maybe 6" above the water on a fast run and I really like the effect it had by smoothing out the water and showing some rocks underneath. I was lucky enough to get a fisherman and his drift boat in the shot too.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ghireptiles/west/SBA%20BPN.jpg

Mark IV
16 - 35mm f2.8
ISO 50
16 mm
f22
6 shots @ 1/4 second -2.67 to 8 seconds +2.33

Kaushik Balakumar
09-20-2010, 03:07 AM
The patterns in flowing water look lovely. The lighting on the foliage (far off) and the hills look beautiful. The thin layer of mist adds a lot to the frame IMO.
Am not so sure if my office monitor is tricking me, but I feel that the trees on the far side look soft (or OOF). Looks like (probably) focus locked on nearby water.
Would leave it to experts.
Might consider cropping a wee bit off the top as well if it were mine.

Robert Amoruso
09-20-2010, 07:29 AM
I would agree with Kaushik on this one including my first thought of cropping off the top. The flow on the rocks is beautiful.

Dave Mills
09-20-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Matt, I agree with Kaushik and Robert. The HDR gave this a very pleasing overall look.
The fishing boat is a bit hard to see. If it was a bit closer and about a third in from the left it would have been very strong...

Matt Lerer
09-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the help on this one. I initially don't see the things you guys do but understand once you point them out so I appreciate it! Here is the image cropped. Would there be some place specific that you would crop this? Cloud placement? What point would you choose?
http://photos.imageevent.com/ghireptiles/west/SBA%20cropped%20BPN.jpg

Dave Mills
09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi Matt, the spot you chose to crop looks good to me...

Roman Kurywczak
09-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey Matt,
Late to the party but agree with above assesements! I think you chose a good spot to crop.....but I went even lower because I liked the flow so much and the v of the sky added a bit to draw the eye into the scene. Just another option to a very well executed scene!

Matt Lerer
09-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I think that looks great Roman and thanks for the guidance!

allanrube
09-22-2010, 10:52 AM
I would take a bit off the bottom on Roman's crop to give it a more panoramic look.

Excellent shot btw.

Do you think the trees are out of focus or just blurred from using multiple images on objects moved by the breeze?

Matt Lerer
09-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't think there was much breeze at all so maybe OOF. Hopefully I can get the hang of this stuff someday!

allanrube
09-25-2010, 03:26 AM
It isn't as easy as it looks for landscape.