PDA

View Full Version : July Sunset Panorama

Judy Howle
09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Canon 5D Mk II, f9, 1/160s, ISO 400 handheld

Kaushik Balakumar
09-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Oh this is some dramatic sky ! well seen and captured.
For my tastes, I find that cropping off nearly 40% of the right might make the image stronger.
The dark section in the right half of the image is making the comp a bit off-balance.
But of course in doing so one might fail showing the versatile nature of the (total) sky .
A lovely image this is.

Robert Amoruso
09-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Judy, I can concur compositionally with what Kaushik is saying, but emotionally, I feel you would diminish the drama of the image if cropped. Only thing I might suggest is to brighten up the dark water but not much. I like it as posted.

Dave Mills
09-20-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi Judy, Another dramatic image to add to the list. Kaushik has a point but I tend to agree with Robert on this. IMO The threatening cloud deserves a strong representation which only adds to the drama. It gives the appearance of engulfing the rest of the sky by it's movement direction. Well done!!

Judy Howle
09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks Robert, Kaushik and Dave. Kaushik, I agree with your point but also feel that even though it's unbalanced it's much more dramatic as presented. The water doesn't look so dark on black and larger size but I don't have it posted anywhere.

Roman Kurywczak
09-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey Judy,
Very interesting discussion above! As mentioned.....I would leave the OP as presented.....but for web......tweak some of the clouds and the sky......because as presented.....can see Kaushiks point of view! Overall.....very dramatic sky and well captured!