PDA

View Full Version : Pileated Woodpecker tips, please?

Nathan Gardner
09-19-2010, 07:27 PM
I have a recent facination with Pileated Woodpeckers. Actually I have always had a facination and wanted to shoot them, but just recently learned that they are close to home. Here is where I am so far, if you have anything to add it would be greatly appreciated. I have found some promising locations at a local state forest with much eveidence of woodpeckers. I've had several affirmative visuals, but all from a good distance. I have marked some of these locations on my handheld GPS. I have camo clothing, but 200mm is my longest lens. My plan is to stake out a good spot near a promising location in my full camo. I did this this morning, but with such dense and large woods, its a crapshoot that a woodpecker actually feeds in front of my lens. Since they're in a state forest and are more wild and not so "feeder friendly" they are very skiddish; there is no sneaking up on them or approaching them. I have thought about getting a Pileated Woodpecker game call. Has anyone used one of these for this reason? I think it would help me locate them, but on the other hand I know they have a large territory and they mate for life and I wonder if the call would run them off or not attract them for any of these reasons. I am guessing this is just one of those things I'll have to spend a lot of time doing and the one day I get lucky will make it all worthwhile, but I thought I'd just ask if there are any things I can do to increase my chances of getting lucky.

Randy Stout
09-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Nathan:

The 200mm lens is going to be your biggest issue, even with camo, or in a blind. They don't tolerate people easily.
I had a pair on my property, 35-40 feet up in a dead tree, which stood at the bottom of a steep hill. I could hide in some brush/downed trees and shoot up at only 10-15 degrees. But, at that time, I was limited to 600mm equivalent, and it just wasn't enough. I did take a lot of pictures, and really enjoyed it, but probably wouldn't post any at this point because the image quality wasn't good enough because of the reach.
Some folks have had luck with them coming to a suet feeder in their territories, but to date I haven't been able to get them to come in.

They are great subjects, very photogenic, great interactions with the chicks, but you need the reach for most situations.

Randy

Jim Buescher
09-19-2010, 09:58 PM
I usually had good luck with Pileateds during nesting season when they're excavating their nesting cavity but, as Randy pointed out, the cavities can be pretty high up. They also like to feed at rotting stumps close to the ground (ants are their favorite food), if you see fresh evidence of this set up a blind nearby. Luck is usually the main factor in getting a decent shot though. I happened to be walking down a local trail when I saw this Pileated land in a nearby tree so I watched her for awhile (didn't have the camera with me) and soon she flew to this cavity and began working on it. Now I knew where to get a good image! A call may bring them to the area but they'll probably stay out of reach. Your best bet is to let them come to you on their own terms....This image was made with a 500+1.4x, so you'll need a lot of luck with a 200.
http://jimbuescher.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v7/p658887100-4.jpg

Nathan Gardner
09-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I know the 200mm is very limiting, but so is my budget. A 400mm is out of the question right now and a 500mm or longer is out of the question for at least 5 years. I guess I'll just hope for some luck. Fortunately I have found a place where there are several woodpeckers in a fairly small radius.

Nathan Gardner
09-19-2010, 10:09 PM
BTW: Great shot Jim. And oh yeah, how good is their vison and hearing? Does anyone know? Even in camo would they be aware of my location.

Randy Stout
09-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Nathan:

Most birds have very good vision, so I think that is the biggest concern. The ones I photographed could see me, despite lots of cover, but I sat very quietly, and was careful not to move around while they were around.

I appreciate the expense issue for long glass. It is one of the biggest hurtles for bird photography. Larger birds, tamer birds in areas where they are used to people, really helps. Might I suggest you spend some time at a local bird sanctuary or even some zoos work well. The birds there are so used to humans, that they don't mind close approaches.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Neiger
09-20-2010, 08:41 AM
A pileated woodpecker call works very well most of the time. If you use it properly it is possible to get good flight and perched image opportunities. I have tried this many, many times with a lot of success. Here in Florida it's reliable enough that I can set out to photograph a PWP on any day with decent weather and come home with good PWP images. The call also works on every other WP species I've tried, but getting flight shots of the other species is much more difficult due to size, speed, and undulating flight.

Randy Stout
09-20-2010, 08:49 AM
OK Jim:

Where do you get a pileated woodpecker call?

Randy

Grant Eldridge
09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi Randy,

I have the iBird Explorer Plus for my iphone that has all the bird calls in it. Never tried to attract birds with it but its probably not loud enough without some external speakers. Funny story with that, if the app is running and you shake the iphone it plays a random bird call. Had it in my backpack walking through an estuary, well you can guess what happened. Must have looked weird some guy in the middle of a field turning in circles looking for imaginary birds.

Grant

Daniel Cadieux
09-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Randy, those calls are also in the Stokes CD.

Although I have not personaly had success calling them in close range, they have responded (called back) and it works great to locate individuals. You may also have luck like Jim so it is worth a try. They also like to return to favorite trees, so if you locate fresh wood chippings at the bottom of a tree that is a good spot to stake out.

Jim Neiger
09-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Using the calls effectively can be very complicated. It requires lots of trial and error and time in the field.

Randy,

For PWPs I use the stokes call.

http://www.flightschoolphotography.com/POST/V6.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
09-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Using the calls effectively can be very complicated. It requires lots of trial and error and time in the field.

As someone who uses calls regularly, I know exactly where you are coming from on this!:cool:

Chantelle Voss
09-23-2010, 02:31 PM
I have had success using the Pileated Woodpecker call once before. I actually played it loudly out of my car stereo and sighted a bird nearby within minutes. However, I wouldn't say that this should be considered the normal success rate. Utilizing playback can be difficult and I think it's important not to over do it; don't repeatedly play the call over and over again as this can be threatening, be patient and give it time. If its during early nesting season when the PW is excavating nest cavities, you may want to look near the bases of large dead trees for big chunks of wood as these would indicate there may be a cavity under construction in that tree. Good luck!