PDA

View Full Version : Tree Frog #2

Mike Fuhr
09-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Here's another shot I took of the tree frog that lives under our covered porch. After getting the silhouette, he climbed to the edge of the leaf and posed for me there. I really like the background which was the edge of the woods at the back of my yard. May be a bit tight on the right...

D300
100-300 F/4 @ 300 mm
F/8 (-1.0)
1/160
ISO 200

Minor crop and upping of saturation, sharpening

Kaushik Balakumar
09-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Oh lovely! Simple & elegant composition. Minimal elements coming together finely.
Love the smooth BG. Indeed a quiet & nice pose.
Lovely image Mike.

Mike Fuhr
09-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Oh lovely! Simple & elegant composition. Minimal elements coming together finely.
Love the smooth BG. Indeed a quiet & nice pose.
Lovely image Mike.

Thank you Kaushik. I appreciate the kind words! :)

Ken Childs
09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
You captured a great pose, Mike! This frog looks extremely content. :)

I love the texture in the leaf and the BG does look great but this horizontal pose lends itself to a horizontal crop. Also, that thick vein in the foreground is pulling my eye away from the frog.

Mike Fuhr
09-20-2010, 10:38 PM
You captured a great pose, Mike! This frog looks extremely content. :)

I love the texture in the leaf and the BG does look great but this horizontal pose lends itself to a horizontal crop. Also, that thick vein in the foreground is pulling my eye away from the frog.

My first shots were in landscape orientation but I keep coming back to the vert orientation. Here's the horizontal:

Jim Bridges
09-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Very nice sharpness on the frog. I'm sure there are some of these in this area but I've never seen any. I prefer the vertical over the horizontal post, but that's just me.:)

Roman Kurywczak
09-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey Mike,
I'm more partial to Ken's repost......mostly because of the leaf vein. If you had a tube.....this would have been a perfect time to use it to allow you to get closer with the lens and get more of Ken's comp. Sweet light and BG.

Arthur Morris
09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Mike, I prefer both of your versions. For Pane #1 you might try taking a good bit off the top. Ken's version is too big in the frame and the color shift to more saturated probably came from re-saving the JPEG. I do like the softer colors in your two posts.

Arthur Morris
09-21-2010, 08:46 PM
My two cents :)

Mike Fuhr
09-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Roman:

Thanks for the input. I don't mind the vein -- it never really jumped out at me but I understand your point (and now I notice it more! :) ).

Artie:

Thanks for the thoughts -- I like the top cropped a bit more as you suggested. I agree with you -- including the leaf in both posts added a bit of habitat in my thinking. Made it a bit more than a photo you might see in a herp book.