PDA

View Full Version : Black bellied plover

Connie Mier
09-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I congratulate all of you who do a lot of photography from beaches and succeed at it. To me, it is one of the most difficult (and a bit unnerving with lots of sand clinging to camera and lens) areas to photograph. I have no problem getting wet, but that sand is a pain. Here is one of my attempts.
Sony a700, 70-400mm
f5.6, ISO320, 1/640, handheld.
Thank you for looking
Connie

Arthur Morris
09-19-2010, 06:15 PM
Considering the harsh light and the black and white subject you made quite a nice image. I like the offset grasses in the BKGR. EXP and SH are perfect. When? What is the mulitplier effect with your camera?

Randy Stout
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Connie:
Artie covered all the important points. Perhaps cropping up a sliver from the bottom. Did you do a reverse S curve or any other tricks to soften the harsh light a bit?

Cheers

Randy

Connie Mier
09-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Considering the harsh light and the black and white subject you made quite a nice image. I like the offset grasses in the BKGR. EXP and SH are perfect. When? What is the mulitplier effect with your camera?

Thank you Artie and Randy. Artie, 1.5X effect. I believe this was shot about 10 am, so yes, harsh light. Randy, you caught me. I did some work with curves but masked the bird and affected the bg only. Also adjusted color balance to give the bg a warmer feel to it.

denise ippolito
09-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Connie, I think that Artie and Randy really gave good critiques so there isn't much to add. I do like the way you handled the light and the image is quite pleasing. I do wish for a tiny bit less of a head turn. Nicely done.:)

Connie Mier
09-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks Denise. Less of a head turn? Just when I thought...:D

denise ippolito
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Connie, That's just a personal preference of mine.:) There is nothing wrong with your image.

Daniel Cadieux
09-20-2010, 09:52 PM
I see what Denise means about the head turn...its the far eye just barely playing peek-a-boo that is not ideal (IMO). Even more of a head turn to show more of that far eye would have been good...but I do like the overall pose. Looks quite fit and alert. I really like your BG here.

P.S. I'll trade you some sand for some mud and muck!

Connie Mier
09-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Connie, That's just a personal preference of mine.:) There is nothing wrong with your image.

Denise, I agree with you. My comment was only a joke, in light of the importance given to head angles and the irony of getting too much head angle. :) I do agree with both you and Daniel.
Connie