PDA

View Full Version : Inspired to FRACT

Arthur Morris
09-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Ken's cool dragonfly inspired me to go FRACT-hunting. I tried several that I hated until I came up with this one. (All Glow 100-based.)

Waved Albatrosses courting, Galapagos.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Arthur Morris
09-19-2010, 03:48 PM
ps: You can see the ORIG here. (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?70251-Galapagos-9-Albatross-Juxtaposition&highlight=waved+albatross)

Cheryl Slechta
09-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Artie, I loved the base image and I love what fract did to it. The dark bg is especially nice. I wonder if anyone will want you to remove the wispy on the LLC and above the closest albatross bill. At first I thought they should go but actually I think the one in the corner balances the image and matches the other one so I just talked myself into thinking they should stay:D

denise ippolito
09-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Artie, I like the glow and feel it adds to the spark between the two. I might add a small catch light or glint of light if it were mine. I also might evict what looks like a smudge on the back birds head. The dark BG and the yellows really make this pop.:)

Andrew McLachlan
09-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Love it! This looks really cool. I first found out about this filter from your blog. I am going to have to give it a try. I am wondering about the LLC too. Can't decide if it should go or if it helps balance the composition. Either way very nice image.

Andrew

Arthur Morris
09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks Cheryl, I agree, and furthermore, the slash on the back of the right hand bird (on the frame edge) completes a nice triangle with the two that you mentioned to keep the eye moving.

On a related note I submitted my favorite FRACT, one of a Brown Pelican, to Corbis and it was accessioned into the collection.....

Arthur Morris
09-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Denise. All good points. Andrew, if you do purchase, plesae use this link (https://www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.jsp?contractId=1720292&referrer=birdsasart). :)

denise ippolito
09-19-2010, 05:43 PM
On a related note I submitted my favorite FRACT, one of a Brown Pelican, to Corbis and it was accessioned into the collection.....

Congratulations on the Fract!!:)

Paul Lagasi
09-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Very nice choice of image to use the frac filter on....not all images work..this one does..well done

Dave Mills
09-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi Art
I like the subjects and their interaction. The fliters texture and glow lends itself nicely to the overall.
I find the brighter area in the lower left to be distracting and takes ones eye away from your center of interest. Not sure why it's there since the 2 subjects are well balanced.
The piece coming from the bird's bill might form a bit of a triangle but has no relationship(or extension) of the bird itself other than performing that function.
The image is certainly strong enough to carry itself without that addition and people wondering what that is.
I realize this is an abstract and can be very subjective...my thoughts..
Congrats on your images acceptance....

Kerry Perkins
09-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Artie, I am swimming upstream with Dave on this one. I would lose the extraneous fracty-bits as they are not justified by anything else in the image and, as Dave mentioned, the image is strong enough without these elements. I would like to have my attention remain inside the glowing perimeters of the birds as there is a great deal of visual interest there. Otherwise, I think it's fantastic! :D

Indranil Sircar
09-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Fantastic fract image, Artie. Like the original this one rocks too. I love the effect on the birds. I think the dark bg definitely makes the birds to stand out. I am with others on getting rid of those fracty bits.

Congratulation on the Corbis acceptance. Is there a link to the fracted Pelican. Regards

Ken Childs
09-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Not much I can add. It looks good and by evicting those 2 extra wisps, it will look great!

Arthur Morris
09-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks all for commenting. Ken, Kerry, and Dave, I love the three slashes as above so they will stay :)

Indranil and others, no congrats due on a stock agency acceptance (but thanks). My point in mentioning it was that a major stock agency has accepted a FRACT and hopes to market is successfully. That is good as it opens the way for me (and others) to submit more FRACTs and, down the road, to make a bit of $$. Stock sales are a matter of numbers and patience and right now sales are WAY down from several years ago.