PDA

View Full Version : Oak leaf, backlit + dew.

Daniel Cadieux
09-18-2010, 10:09 AM
This leaf caught my eye from a distance away. I just couldn't resist taking its photo as it glowed form the early morning sun's backlighting. Notice that the dew has dried where the leaf is strongest lit but has still remained in the cooler shaded areas. I guess I wasn't holding the camera as parallel to leaf as I thought as the top part is a bit soft even at f/16...I'll just pretend its the wind that blew that part away:p

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens @75mm + 20mm extention tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/16, ISO 800, -0.7 EC, natural light, handheld, full-frame.

Ken Childs
09-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Daniel, I love the texture you captured in this. It looks a little over-sharpened but that may just be what it looks like. I think I would have liked this better if you have captured more of the center vein so that it ran diagonally through the frame instead of just in the URC.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Beautiful textures. Liked the dew drops in the non-lit parts of the leaf.
While the high contrast & saturation is making this image really pop (in a good way), it is giving it a bit of unnatural look.

Daniel Cadieux
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys. I was trying to balance the comp in opposing corners with the two veins (URC and LLC). I guess if the lower one was as thick as the upper one that would have been more evident. I did boost contrast somewhat, but saturation was actually toned down...man that warm early morning backlighting really wreaked havoc the yellow channel!:cool:

Roman Kurywczak
09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Hey Daniel,
I'd have to agree with Ken here....very cool concept but it does appear a bit over done as presented. Finding the right balance is the key.....perhaps a darker presentation?

Greg Basco
09-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Daniel, I agree with Ken too that I'd like to see more of the main leaf vein. Well, actually, I would go more or less -- that is, having it all in or all out. But I like the look of the photo very much, great light!

Cheers,
Greg Basco