PDA

View Full Version : McKinley (Denali) at its Finest

Paul Lagasi
09-18-2010, 08:02 AM
I just got back...now I know what Artie meant by sitting in the airport waiting to get out...we were stranded for 24 hours due to fog and cold, arriving home a few days later than scheduled.
This image was created by using photomerge in CS4, then manually changing exposure, creating 3 different images and creating a HDR using CS4. I lightened the antlers to bring out the grain in them...
I tried to make this as lifelike as I could..the day in Denali was, according to our guide one of the clearest days they had seen all summer.
Good to be back but I'll be back in Alaska soon...lovely place

Joe Senzatimore
09-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Beautiful comp. and GREAT use of wide angle. I would prefer some more detail in the mountains , might be a DOF issue. But that may just be a matter of taste. Wonderful image , either way.
Try to post the techs next time as it makes it easier to critique.

denise ippolito
09-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a wonderful trip. Beautiful scenic Paul and I like your use of the antlers as a FG element. Seems a bit tight to me but that is just a personal preference. Joe makes a good suggestion. I think maybe some USM applied selectively to the mountains would help. Nicely seen and it is a wall hanger for sure!!!:)

Steve Adkins
09-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Great FG element and texture/detail. Agree with previous comments. Beautiful scenic!

Bob Miller
09-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Beautiful image....great foreground...nice job lightening antlers...if you could sharpen the mtns a bit it would take this up another level

Cheryl Slechta
09-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Paul, I'm glad you made it safely back and if this is an indication of the images you took on the trip I can hardly wait to see more! This is a beautiful reminder of your trip and will look nice on your wall:)

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Paul,

Greetings. Good use of merge & hdr... here's a few ideas about tone:

Added contrast via LAB curves L adjustment, reduced blue/cyan cast over hills and mountains, flipped and evened vignette from right to left side. Didn't work on halo around center antler (probably added some to it in rough masking job). But there is a halo in the OP.

Like the concept a lot. a little tight on the antlers for my taste.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Paul Lagasi
09-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your imputs...Cheryl, one close call with a bear..but thats another story and image...lolol

Arthur Morris
09-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Love the COMP. Would like to see the antlers even lighter. The grasses in Michael's repost are too gold for me but as always the effort is appreciated. Michael, you must have liked Velvia :)