PDA

View Full Version : Another view of the Spotted Salamander.

Daniel Cadieux
09-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I tried to go for more of a "forest" feel with this one, as this is where you are likely to find one. I found a rather large moss-covered log so rather than lying flat on the forest floor, I just set it up on an outdoor table and sat comfortably at eye level. Much more comfortable, and dry!

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens @45mm + 20mm extention tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/60s., f/9, ISO 800, -0.7 EC, natural light, handheld (but arms resting very comforatbly on table), full-frame left to right (cropped top and bottom).

Andrew Merwin
09-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Nice job with this. Sharp, exposure looks good. I like the crop & the perspective. I also like the tail curving around in front of the salamander.

Arthur Morris
09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
So was this a captive table Dan???

Per-Gunnar Ostby
09-18-2010, 04:05 AM
I was wondering the same as Artie. Or are they pretty docile that you can pick them up and pose them?

By the way,, I find the the greyish area to the left in the background rather distracting

Daniel Cadieux
09-18-2010, 06:37 AM
So was this a captive table Dan???

Hey Artie, this was a wild and free table!!:D Just a picnic table outside my folks' cottage. The salamander, which was found and caught by my two boys, was carefully manipulated into position. It was later released in the same place it was found (same as the previous image a few days ago).

Per-Gunnar - thanks for pointing out the grey area. It is an easy fix via the clone tool.

Arthur Morris
09-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Good to know about the table :) I used a free and wild log placed on top of my car in my driveway to photograph a loverly Southern Toad a few months back. I only glanced at the first post but I am pretty sure that I like the body position there better. I will visit that one asap.

Robert Amoruso
09-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Daniel,

Good captive table :p portraiture.