PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Checkered-Skipper

Jim Bridges
09-17-2010, 08:16 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I found this little skipper butterfly in the grass last year along the prairie trail and made a few photos before it when into an area I couldn't follow anymore. They are fairly shy of folks with tripods trying to get their photos too.:) This one stayed close to the ground cover most of the time while I chased it so the BG on this one is not as nice as I wanted, but it was good enough for a ID photo.;) Made with D80 Nikkor AF 105/2.8D on a tripod. f/16 @ 1/6s ISO 100.

Julie Kenward
09-17-2010, 01:29 PM
What a beautiful specimen, Jim! The blacks, whites and blues really pop - great contrast and a nice BG to go with it. If this were mine, I'd give the butterfly a bit of a twist to the left so his wings are a little more angled to the frame's edges. Super details brought out...very strong and impactful image!

Kaushik Balakumar
09-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Nice image with good details and textures in the wings.

Roman Kurywczak
09-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey Jim,
As mentioned.....super colors and light! I do like Jules idea of the rotation.....but I also feel that there is too much negative space on the right and while I am not that partial to square crops.....do feel it would help take this one up a notch. Overall.....nicely handled!

Jim Bridges
09-18-2010, 10:25 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Thanks for the comments y'all! Great suggestions and well worth trying too....thanks a lot!:)

Bob Miller
09-18-2010, 12:16 PM
HI Jim.....nice image...I like it alot....agree with cropping and rotation suggestions above.

Ken Childs
09-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Cropping and rotation suggestions both sound good. It's too bad this spreadwing didn't spread its wings completely. ;)