PDA

View Full Version : Merritt Island Reddish Egrets No. 3

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Photographed at Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, FL the end of August.

Due to the presence of Reddish Egret rookies in the area, MINWR has had an increasing number of Reds at it this time of year. Mostly first year youngsters learning the ropes though the adults are around too.

I spotted over 25 of them in this area with as many as 6 in close proximity to each other and when that happens, you do get some fireworks. I created a whole series of images that morning, all backlight, all high-contrast. Some so strong the colors were skewed and washed out. Those got a monochromatic treatment, one.

As the birds are molting, they are not at their best, hence the reduced colors as well. In any event, a lot of interesting activity that morning.

This image is No. 3 in my series. The BG Reddish flew in and immediately went to chasing the one in the FG.

Canon 7D
Canon 600mm
1/1000 sec, f/4
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800

Myer Bornstein
09-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Excellent the monochrome wourks wonderful with these egrets wish I was there:D

Bill Jobes
09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
I like the monochromatic treatment, and the 'chase scene' action. :)

Manos Papadomanolakis
09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
very artistic with great details and action!!!

Per-Gunnar Ostby
09-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Fantastic shot - the expressions are great. To be a tiny bit picky, I would prefer if there was no overlap, but not much you can do

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Fantastic shot - the expressions are great. To be a tiny bit picky, I would prefer if there was no overlap, but not much you can do

I got some w/o the overlap but the BG Egret's expression is the best in this one. :)

Eric Diller
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Nice interesting look! Reddish Egrets are all over MINWR but the Black point wildlife drive is closed for the month of September for road repairs!!

Daniel Cadieux
09-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Awesome stuff Robert. You took full advantage of the situation. Good poses by both individuals, and we can really feel the intensity of the action.

Connie Mier
09-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow, I would love to see that many reddish egrets at once! I love this high key effect you are using, the scene is more intense. Excellent moment captured.

Arthur Morris
09-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Robert, I love the image as noted above. I am, however, confused. You say that there are lots of Reddish Egret rookies in the area. Is it their first year in the major leagues??? :2eyes2:

Craig Brelsford
09-18-2010, 03:53 AM
I enjoy shots with few elements and a simple background. You've gone one farther: there's no background at all. Your egrets seem to be running right out of my monitor onto my desk. This is more than a shot of two egrets: it's an abstraction, a study of their movements and the way they squabble. One of the more interesting shots I've seen here in a while.