PDA

View Full Version : Tree - Canaveral NS and Merritt Island NWR

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 600mm f/4 IS + 1.4X TCII
1/5000 sec, f/8,ISO 800

I should have been at a lower ISO and shutter speed. Made just after the sun came up and I was photographing birds in a shaded area.

Three frame HDR using Photomatix. THis is the more traditional looking HDR where the extended range allowed me to open up the shadows. Taken at Merritt Island on the Canaveral National Seashore Side on Playalinda Rd. May 2008.

My next post is a more grungy version of this image unless of course you tell me the composition is bad.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
09-17-2010, 11:56 AM
The colour and feel is very nice, but for me it doesn't work that well as it feels a bit too busy. Sorry about that

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
The colour and feel is very nice, but for me it doesn't work that well as it feels a bit too busy. Sorry about that

No problem. That is the issue here in Florida. It took me two years to decide I liked it and post it. I appreciate you taking a look.

Roman Kurywczak
09-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey Robert,
I'm with Per-Gunner that the image is busy and why it doesn't work for me either. I do think the HDR work is excellent and brought out some fantastic details!

Robert Amoruso
09-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey Robert,
I'm with Per-Gunner that the image is busy and why it doesn't work for me either. I do think the HDR work is excellent and brought out some fantastic details!

That was always my problem with it. I made it 2 years ago and look at it occasionally and finally decided I liked it. I originally did it to practice my HDR processing. I just recently looked at it again and would I like all the details in it brought out in the HDR. As they say, different strokes for .... Thanks for commenting,

Dave Mills
09-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Robert, not sure if you need a 3rd opinion but I lean towards whats been stated. The warm colors and hdr effect(which pops the details) are very nice.
I lean towards simplicity and find the image is too busy for my taste.

Robert Amoruso
09-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks Dave. I figured most people would find this too "busy". It took me a long time to decide to even post it for that reason. Stuart Hill posted some images of a ruin on Saddleworth Moor (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?71395), full of details that received similar comments. I noted a photographers work I had seen years ago that "too busy" would definitely be a common critique, but I found the amount of detail in the images both disturbing and mesmerizing at the same time.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Interesting network of branches. The warm lighting on branches look fine. Such image form good candidates for a monochrome IMHO. When scene is cluttered but has a good subject within (the branches), it might be a good idea to isolate the subject (the branches) via B&W conversion.
Removing colours (i.e. converting to monochrome) remove another parameter/component (for our brain to analyze) and hence simplify the image.
Using colour sliders (in B&W conversion) might help in showing branches while annulling other colours.
Just my thoughts.