PDA

View Full Version : Sky-goose

Craig Brelsford
09-17-2010, 12:42 AM
A mute swan zooms by at Lake Wuliangsu in Inner Mongolia, China last week. The subject may at first glance seem pedestrian until one realizes that this sky-goose is no mere ornamental, but fully wild, among the last few hundred wild mute swans remaining in China. (Sky-goose is "swan" in Chinese.) Ironically, one often hears "mute" swans coming before one sees them. The beating of their powerful wings makes a sound audible far across the wetland. This sky-goose flew directly over me, giving me dramatic shots that (as here) overspilled the frame. I cropped the shot to put the focus on the head and breast.

Device: Nikon D300
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal length: 600mm
VR: OFF
Aperture: F/4
Shutter Speed: 1/2000s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.3EV
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 320

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Craig,

I like the close-up view and feel you cropped it nicely. The head looks a bit soft and probably needs some more sharpening. I would also suggest doing some selections and curves adjustments on the dark part of the head and eye to perhaps get some better tonal representation there.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I like the shape of the wing but for me this one does not do a lot as it is is a little flat - clearly due to the light conditions. Maybe a little fill flash would have brought it out a bit more

Daniel Cadieux
09-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Sky-goose - that's a new term for me...and I love it! I like your chosen comp, nicely anchored in URC. I also like the curled primary! A bit of colour noise is apparent on the belly and far wing...did you need to lighten the shadows or overall exposure in post-processing? You could enhance the faint reflection in the eye with the dodge tool to give this guy more life.