09-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Canon 30D
Sigma EX 100-300mm f/4 @ 223mm
1/125sec f/14 ISO 100

Crop, S/H, Sharpening in CS5
NR in Noiseware Pro

Dave Mills
09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi Ian, compositionally I feel you did a good job on this. I like the boats placement an d it also shows scale which adds interest. I might be tempted to give the image a contrast adj since it appears a bit flat and this would give it more dimension.
Interesting image!

Kaushik Balakumar
09-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Simple and effective composition. How about cropping a bit more at the top such that the bare portion (triangular segment) in URC is removed. Just my tastes though.

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Ian,

Classic travel image and not that there is anything wrong with that. I agree with Dave on the overall composition but feel Kaushik has a good suggestion on the crop at top. I well local contrast enhancement is a good option here and reposted with USM at 20/50/0 on a background copy and cropped as suggested at top plus more at bottom. See link below for info on LCE.

file:///C:/Users/WILDSC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.png1) Go to http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=20434 (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20434)

For Reverse S-Curve, Shadows/Highlights, Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE), Blending Mode and Selective Color.
file:///C:/Users/WILDSC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.pngfile:///C:/Users/WILDSC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.pngfile:///C:/Users/WILDSC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.pngfile:///C:/Users/WILDSC%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.png

Ian Cassell
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I liked the contrast of the bare peak on the right, but I see your point. Robert, I'm afraid your image lost a lot of the blue in the ice which is one of the things that made it interesting to me, although I agree that additional contrast helps.

Roman Kurywczak
09-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Hey Ian,
For me the crop strengthens the image overalland adding a bit more contrast will take this up another notch! I remember those blues well!