PDA

View Full Version : Cades Cove

Judy Howle
09-16-2010, 03:13 PM
One of my favorite scenes from the Cove. I realize now I should have used f16 or higher :o.
Canon 40D, f8, 1/400s, ISO100, EF-S 17 - 55 IS.

Dave Mills
09-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi Judy, To be safe a higher fstop would have been adviseable which you stated. In this case the scene was far enough away whereby it appears sharp throughout. If you had a closer foreground you might not have captured it sharp throughout.
One of your trademarks should be a dramatic sky which this certainly has and carries the image.
Two things...first I would have positioned the tree about a third in from the left rather than have it on the far right. It does add interest to the overall. I see some longer shadows from the tree but the image looks like it was taken later in the day since the light isn't warm.
The exposure and other techs look fine...

Kaushik Balakumar
09-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Simple and nice composition of a nice sunny day. A good one to look at before we step into winter shortly...

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2010, 07:02 AM
Big sky was definitely the way to go here. Good suggestion on the tree location but I also like it where it is.

Judy Howle
09-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone! The clouds that day were very nice.

Putting the tree one third of the way to the left would have been a whole different (and uninteresting) scene. I had to put the tree there because the open meadow ended just past it. I composed just shy of a perpendicular tree line to the right of the tree (and made a small crop of part of a tree that sneaked in there). I also cropped off a inch or so of grass at the bottom.

Roman Kurywczak
09-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Hey Judy,
I don't mind the tree ont the right.....but would have preferred it a bit more seperated from the BG hills....only way to do that is closer and more of an up angle.......but that would have definitely introduced DOF issues.......so just perhaps a bit more to the left......but it does work where presented too! You share my love for dramatic skies and it comes through very nicely in this scene. Great job with taking some off the bottom too! Overall.....very nicely done!