PDA

View Full Version : bearded bell flower

Valerio Tarone
09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Again i tried the issue of low aperture: f5 1/200 ISO 800 spot aperture pr. sigma 70 macro +1 extension tube (k12?) .I had supposed this is a good way to get 'soft' images. Saved as 61% of quality. Rawfile converted.
Comments welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
09-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Hey Valerio,
Looking at your settings and assuming that it was sunny......this image was way over exposed. You got some interesting neon colors due to that but not sure it works for me compositionally with all the lost details. This has an almost pop art look to it....but not sure that is what you were going for.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-17-2010, 03:44 AM
Liked the wild 'colour wash' in the image. Nice way indeed to make some cool abstracts. However, this composition is not too striking IMHO. Will look fwd to more of your images from similar technique.

Valerio Tarone
09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks. Kaushik, you'll see others, if you keep on..

Desmond Chan
09-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Again i tried the issue of low aperture: f5 1/200 ISO 800 spot aperture pr. sigma 70 macro +1 extension tube (k12?) .I had supposed this is a good way to get 'soft' images.

I also read that using large aperture is an easy way to create moody pictures :)

But - this's something I'm not sure of the answer myself - where to put the focus on?

Other than this looks over-exposed, it also looks out-of-focus. It may have to do with the shallow depth of field but, to me, there seems to be something else, too. I could be wrong but, my $0.02 anyhow.

Valerio Tarone
09-18-2010, 04:51 AM
Yes,Desmond, it's a good question.. For example in this case, using a extension tube, I suppose the problem is to use narrower aperture. only auestion.

Ken Childs
09-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Valerio, shallow and soft can look great but unless you're trying to purposely create a blurred image, you should try to have 1 area that's in sharp focus. Try to put that focused spot near one of the ROT's positions.

Valerio Tarone
09-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Thank you Ken. I've many seen many similar images, some of them are focused on the petals (the FG) some on the central stamens, leaving the petals oof. what's your advice?

Ken Childs
09-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Thank you Ken. I've many seen many similar images, some of them are focused on the petals (the FG) some on the central stamens, leaving the petals oof. what's your advice?
With this one, probably the tip of the stamen in the center of the flower should look sharp. If you wanted to focus on the edge of a petal on this flower, you would probably want to be a step to the left so the stamen and the back petals would be background of the focused area.

I wish I could give you editing suggestions but I don't know anything about Nikon Capture NX2.