PDA

View Full Version : 1DMkIII purchase

Judy Becker
03-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I have been reading so many things about AF fixes, blue dot models etc and was wondering if now is a good time to purchase a new Mk III ? Are all of the known problems fixed now or are there some issues, that I haven't read about, still being corrected ? I want to move from my one and only 30D but I don't want to make the move if other major outstanding issues are unresolved. I want to do this right the first time and not regret buying the camera.

Ben Page
03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Hmm, not an easy question to answer. I'm happy with mine at the moment, but there are many who aren't. If I were making my purchasing decision again now then I'd wait a while to make sure things are sorted out, there's all sorts of rumours about another fix coming out.

Pete Woods
03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I have a Blue Dot version I got in December. This is my third and have to say it is brilliant :) Previous were in affected range.
Reading other sites it does appear the new ones coming off the assembly line are OK
This is a good read http://photography-on-the.net/1DmarkIII/

Ben Page
03-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Must admit that since mine got repaired last week it's been excellent. Maybe waiting a while for the repair paid off!

Don Blue
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
I just bought a new MK 3...got it a few days ago. I did some test shots with my 500 f/4 to check the focus and it was spot on...... I used it over the weekend for some BIF shots and it works great....I'm very happy with it... Mine is a so called "blue dot" with a ser. # 556**** .

I was using a 40D before ....the features of the MK 3 are a major leap forward in my opinion...I absolutely have no regrets for the purchase.

I got mine from Onecall.com.....they had a weekend special on them last week...I would highly recommend them for a super fast no hassle purchase....also, the packing of the camera was the best I've ever seen....double boxed with the camera box completely surrounded with air bubble packs.....I was really impressed with the careful packing they did.....no, I don't work for them but when I get good service from a company I like to tell people about it.

I would say that if you want one now ...quit reading all the Canon bashing threads and forget all the problems you have read about...Buy it... go out shooting for a few days and make your own decision from the results you get...I think you will be pleasantly surprised....:)

Alfred Forns
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Would wait Judy but that is a personal decision

Andy Trowbridge
03-11-2008, 04:04 AM
I would wait Judy. I bought a blue dot MK3 in Jan. and the AF of this body sucks. In One-Shot on a simple contrasty subject in good light it can only get about 50% in focus, in AI Servo it was much better on the same static subject (100%) but only OK at tracking.

So I sent it into Canon New Zealand and they replaced something - can't remember what and I'm now in the UK so can't check receipt.

Didn't have time to test the camera before heading overseas but I did test it a few days ago over here. It wasn't a scientific test, I just comapred it with my 1DS MK2 both in AI Servo, same subject (a pheasant), same light. The 1DS MK2 got approx. 80% in focus and the out of focus shots were just about all because of subject movement. The MK3 on the otherhand could only get 20% in focus and thats with a 1 stop advantage with shutter speed. Haven't re-tested One Shot yet.

So basically my MK3's AF appears to be worse now than it was before Canon worked on the camera.<O:p</O:p

Bob Ettinger
03-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Judy,

Some folks are having good luck with them and others are not. Based on this fact I would wait or find a store which will let you return it if yours is a bad one.

Judy Becker
03-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Buying an expensive camera body for me is a big decision and I appreciate everyones replies. Thank you.

Pat Gerlach
03-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I have a fairly early Mark III and it has worked well. I'd like to have another but I won't buy one now--still far too many questions. I'm not going to buy one, then test to see if it's good. Buying a camera this expensive shouldn't be like sorting through 2x4s at Home depot looking for straight ones.

Alfred Forns
03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey Pat have you ever found a straight one :eek::D:)

Grady Weed
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Pat's response is a great one! :)

Ben Page
03-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Pat, you hit the nail right on the head! Nicely put. :)

Shawn Olesen
03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I have been considering the MarkIII since last June and was wondering when to step up and purchase also. Thanks for everyones responses, I think I will wait. I am also considering the 5D. Rumor has it the 5D will be replaced soon so now I guess I will wait on that one too.
BTW, there are no strait 2 x 4 's at Home Depot, should you luck out and find a strait one in the rack it will be twisted before you get home. Try Douglas Fir at a real lumber yard!

Charles Glatzer
03-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Would wait as well!

Chas

Rene A
03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
WAIT!!

Renate

Gib Robinson
03-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Judy,

Spend some time with a MkIII if you can. The camera has some AF weaknesses (quirks) but it also has great strengths, including image quality. If you can spend a day or two with someone who owns a Mk III you can see how the camera performs for YOU. There are so many variables -- settings, lighting conditions, how it works with specific lenses. If you have a long lens, check the performance carefully. Will it focus in the close range under various lighting conditions?

I moved from a 20D to a 1DIII. I have no regrets. I love the camera (early body with sub-mirror fix).

Don LaVange
03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
My 1D Mark 111 was a very early issue. I got delivery on June 2 , 2007. I had good luck with it on most things but BIF left a lot to be desired. I made the assumption that my BIF problems were attributable to my lack of experience on BIF. In January, I sent it back for upgrade and the only time I have used it on a moving target since, I got NOTHING in focus! I still think it is me, however, with all I am reading, I am beginning to wonder.

As they say, USUALLY, where there is smoke, there is fire. I hope this gets firmly resolved very soon.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-19-2008, 03:58 AM
I have a Blue Dot version I got in December. This is my third and have to say it is brilliant :) Previous were in affected range.
Reading other sites it does appear the new ones coming off the assembly line are OK
This is a good read http://photography-on-the.net/1DmarkIII/

Peter
I didn't spot this thread, I had started another on a similar note. I have been following all the cufuffle regards AF issues. I have just ordered a 500mm lens and I was going to get the EOS 1D Mk111 to go with it but under current circs no way. Your good read reference is excellent and I came to precisely the same conclusion, i.e. Canon are not coming clean, their latest statement is not conclusive, I cannot escape concluding the matter is not resolved and they are still looking for a definitive fix. I am waiting - probably for a Mark 1V.
PS even if the autofocus is fixed the review indicates it is a very tricky thing indeed to ensure you get reproducible results. I just want the camera to do what the 20D does - but more consistently and quicker....and better at £2300 - £2500 it should be perfectomondo
Jon

David Kennedy
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Judy,
All I can offer is that I had the option last July of buying a Mk III or a MK II N, and I went with the II N. I am so, so, so happy that I did. The quality of the file produced by the Mk III is certainly better, and the ISO range is also much better, but I don't complain about focusing with my II N. At all!!!

Erik Hagstrom
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Has anyone purchased any "post blue dot" bodies? Curious how the performance or variability of those bodies compares to the earlier ones.

Robert Amoruso
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Judy,
All I can offer is that I had the option last July of buying a Mk III or a MK II N, and I went with the II N. I am so, so, so happy that I did. The quality of the file produced by the Mk III is certainly better, and the ISO range is also much better, but I don't complain about focusing with my II N. At all!!!

Good move David. The Mark IIN is THE bird in flight camera for Canon.

Alfred Forns
03-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Has anyone purchased any "post blue dot" bodies? Curious how the performance or variability of those bodies compares to the earlier ones.

Erik I see a fair amount of the Blue Dot cameras and it seems to be some good some bad. Light conditions have a lot to do with results !!! Don't think they are working as advertised !!!

Don LaVange
03-23-2008, 06:37 PM
God!, this whole subject is so depressing! The most costly camera I have ever purchased and it has a legacy of failure while people rave about the new Nikon! Come on Canon, blow them away with a BOLD move!

D. Robert Franz
03-24-2008, 09:16 PM
The information I'm receiving of late seems to indicate the mk3's being sold now are performing excellently. Getting ready for my participation in the IFC Pro Tour of Nature Photography Contest starting next week I had extensive conversations with some high ups in Canon USA. They seem frustrated by the situaltion themselves but are hopeful that they have the problem figured outl They would not tell me if more hardware or software fixes ae in the works.

My repaired MK3 is the best focusing Canon I've ever used and I've used most all of them since the original Eos 1 flim camera. The 45 point AFP'S has worked amazingly well for me even with flying ducks against busy BG's. Much better than my mk2 ever did. Good enough that I have sold my mk2. I'm now considering another mk3 or perhaps the 1ds3.