PDA

View Full Version : The Stallion

Hilary Hann
09-16-2010, 05:10 AM
I took this photo at Lewa, Kenya in 2008. The whole frame was of a larger herd of Burchell's zebra but only this one was alert and looking at the camera (I'm calling him the stallion but it is hard to tell). I've cropped to this vertical grouping as the other zebras didn't add to the composition. I've used two layers of texture from my files, one with blue tones, one with warm tones and blended at different opacities. I've masked the stallion out of the blue toned layer, but left the warm texture as an overlay. Any opinions gratefully received. :)

Hazel Grant
09-16-2010, 08:28 AM
I really like this one. The textures add so much. Glad you masked the stallion out to make hiim stand out. And glad you caught the one at the top....makes the eye follow. otherwise I think it would be too much empty space. Good job.

denise ippolito
09-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Hilary, I like the layers of zebras. Nice composition. I feel like there might be too much of the warmth on the zebras. I love the way the front zebra is centered btwn the two middle zebras! Nice work.:)

Steve Adkins
09-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I like the comp and the way it fades from front to back (top) Wonderful, alert pose and high viewing angle (without distracting from the zebra form). I'd be tempted to soften or remove the one small brown spot above the stallion's back. I'm a fan of your work with these images and textures. :)

Hilary Hann
09-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks Hazel, Denise and Steve. Steve, hadn't noticed the brown spot above the zebra's back, consider it removed. Shouldn't work late at night! :o
Appreciate the feedback and support very much.

Kerry Perkins
09-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Excellent composition Hilary, I really feel drawn into the image. Love the earthy tones and treatment and the alert pose of the central subject. If that's poppa, I think that's momma right above him and she appears to have one in escrow... :cool:

Hilary Hann
09-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks Kerry, you may be right. :p

Christopher Miller
09-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Looks very nice, Hilary. I like the grungy texture effect you got. Excellent placement of the zebras and love the pose of the stallion. :)

Hilary Hann
09-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks Christopher

Judy Howle
09-17-2010, 05:37 PM
I am also a fan of your animal images and this is one of my favorites! Great work with the textures Hilary.

Hilary Hann
09-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Thank you Judy. :)

Cheryl Slechta
09-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Hilary, I like the added bit of color on this one. They are all gorgeous and beautifully crafted. I really like the composition also.:)

Hilary Hann
09-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Thanks Cheryl, I liked the extra touch of colour as well but have found that it didn't work on the next couple I tried. :( I'll never get a standard way of processing the images so it becomes quite time consuming. But lots of fun.