PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Baird's Sandpiper

Mike Milicia
09-15-2010, 09:05 PM
EOS-1D Mk IV, 500mm f/4 + 1.4xII, 1/500, f/6.3, ISO 1600
About 50% of Full Frame

This image was captured a couple of days ago on Plum Island in MA.

I was photographing a small group of juvenile Semipalmated Plovers on a very cloudy and dark morning when this guy suddenly joined them for a few minutes. I wish he had come closer and that there had been more and better light but I was still happy to get my first opportunity with this species which is fairly tough to get around here.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques !

denise ippolito
09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Mike, Fantastic image. Nice details and raised foot pose. I like the high key BG and the white whites! Congratulations and I wish it were mine!:)

Arthur Morris
09-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I love the light, the great bird, the raised foot, and the killer moon-scape. Everything but the fact that the feathers behind the bill are a bit scruffed up. The high key and the sand patterns put this one over the top. Be sure to put this on your calendar next year for SEPT.

Mike Landwehr
09-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Mike,

I love the high-key effect, with just the hint of a shoreline. The raised foot is a plus. For me, the look is reminiscent of an Audubon painting. The crop is super, as well.

Daniel Cadieux
09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Good stuff Mike! Congrats on the photo lifer. Great low a ngle once again, and the high key treatment works very nicely. Maybe darken the pupil just a bit.